Plot Summary

A Salem, MA, radio DJ receives a mysterious record that unleashes a diabolical force of evil in this slow-burn shocker written and directed by Rob Zombie, and produced by Paranormal Activity’s Oren Peli. Back in 1696, Reverend Jonathan Hawthorne (Andrew Prine) condemned a coven of witches led by Margaret Morgan (Meg Foster) to death, burning them without remorse in the woods surrounding Salem. Just over 300 years later, the small town has become a beacon for anyone interested in the supernatural. Heidi Hawthorne (Sheri Moon Zombie), Herman “Whitey” Salvador (Jeffrey Daniel Phillips) and Herman Jackson (Ken Foree) are the hosts of a popular Salem radio show with a playful occult slant. One day, after interviewing noted author Francis Matthias (Bruce Davison) on the air, Heidi receives a package containing a record from a band named the Lords. The following day, when Heidi plays the record on the airwaves, a strange spell falls over the locals.

Later, as the Lords announce they will be performing a concert in town and the typically carefree Heidi grows increasingly withdrawn, Matthias senses that the sins of the past may be returning to haunt Salem. And he couldn’t be more right — something wicked has returned to this cursed town, and with each day that passes, Heidi slips ever deeper into its sinister grasp. Patricia Quinn, Dee Wallace, Michael Berryman, and Sid Haig co-star. ~ Jason Buchanan, Rovi

Watch the Trailer

Movie Gallery

(click on an image to open up full screen gallery – works on your smartphone too)

Movie Credits

(in credits order – information from IMDb)

Sheri Moon Zombie Heidi Hawthorne
Bruce Davison Francis Matthias
Jeff Daniel Phillips Herman ‘Whitey’ Salvador (as Jeffrey Daniel Phillips)
Judy Geeson Lacy Doyle
Barbara Crampton Virginia Cable
Michael Shamus Wiles Jarrett Perkins
Dustin Quick Masie Mather
James Messersmith Drug Dealer
Troy Troy (the dog)

1. Agustin Ignnacio Agudo

THE LORDS OF SALEM is perhaps the most important horror film about the coming of the Devil in the earth ever made! Kudos to Rob Zombie!
    Please, do not stop making horror films!

June 3, 2013 at 10:44 pm

3. I rather enjoyed this film – the witchcraft subgenre of horror has been suspiciously neglected or woefully parodied in the last centenary, and it was nice to have a solidly-made and -produced addition to this wilting area of film.

June 2, 2013 at 10:23 pm

5. Chris Page

PLEASE DON’T STOP DOING HORROR FILMS ROB! YOU ARE THE BEST DIRECTOR AND FILMMAKER IN THE WORLD RIGHT NOW! HANDS DOWN! LORDS WAS AWESOME!

May 31, 2013 at 5:30 pm

7. Lee

Just watched the Lords of Salem and it was exceptional. So good in fact that I feel I have to write this to counter the unbelievable amount of underrated and average reviews this film has had. Most of which are on the Internet. I just turned 40 this year and am a massive movie fan of all genres and know a good film when I see one. This is defiantly a modern day cult classic inspired for sure but still as original as anything can be today. It just makes me wonder how these Internet reviewers get the gig in the first place with such banal, shallow and conformitive opnions. I think 20 year ago this film would have hit the ground running but the Internet now casts a shadow on good stuff like this. In fact I’m amazed films like this are still getting made. I thought the Internet was going to broaden our minds, stimulate and educate us. But really it’s just a wiki reference point, a place for insecure people to say look at/listen to me(Facebook twitter), and somewhere people with no artistic talent or style can rant on about and have an opinion about things they wouldn’t have a clue to do themselves because they have no talent because when they left school no one remembered their name. Yeah really enjoyed the film, bye.

May 31, 2013 at 12:55 am

9. Lords of Salem is hands down Zombie’s best film to date, with his layering, solid story, and cornucopia of top acting talent he has created one of the best art horror films I have ever seen. All the feeling of this film is created with very little traumatic gore indicative of Zombie’s other films, which I did not like. Obviously he has grown in artistic spirit and zeal, as well as maturing cinema-graphically into an artist that cohesively, with continuity, crafted a dark song of a film.
    The iconography is so powerful combined with the powerful history of the Salem; these archetypal histories, icons, and the use of music make this film uniquely American, and diabolically scary. The manipulation of western mythologies and occult ideologies was refreshing, and shattered taboos, while it formed a film that for some may have more impact on their sensibilities but needed to be made.
    Zombie’s advancement to good writing and solid story and the best casting have me salivating for his next film, which like The Lords of Salem should be iconoclastic and well written.

May 25, 2013 at 2:50 am

11. Brutal Betty

Can’t fnd where the movie is playing ,I live in Milton fl,willing t drive 3 hours

May 25, 2013 at 2:01 am

13. pagegrrrl

I live in Peoria IL & of course, there has been no showing as of today. Is it coming out on DVD soon?

May 23, 2013 at 10:45 pm

• The Blu Ray is being worked on.

May 24, 2013 at 11:18 am

15. Im a big rob zombie fan. Havent seen lords of salem yet but will soon. Love ya rob and sherri

May 23, 2013 at 4:01 am

17. zneebnee

in the movie, there is a painting of a girl holding a bunch of rats’ tails. WHERE can i find that?! i love it and have had no luck googling anything relating to it!

May 22, 2013 at 2:41 am

19. Bobo4201

Where can I pay to rent and watch this via the internet? Or is this not out yet? I am confused with the release date posted last month.

May 20, 2013 at 1:16 am

• The release date for last month was the cinematic release. The Blu Ray is being worked on and we will have more details of that soon. Fans in the UK can get it on iTunes already as it was released straight to video there.

May 20, 2013 at 12:08 pm

21. CourtneyxIrene

CANNOT wait for this movie to come out to my area. Absolutely thrilled by every aspect of Rob’s mind and he never seems to disappoint. The penultimate God of music and film. His mind never fails to amaze and astonish c:

May 14, 2013 at 11:04 pm

23. Loved it. Rob Zombie never disappoints. Nice touch with the music to entrance the women, the sound was prolific. Some of the effects were campy but I think it added a nice ambiance to the overall feel of the film.

May 14, 2013 at 12:42 pm

25. Sick of Stupid

Come on Rob. Time to pull a Trent Reznor in the film world. You have a brand name that you’re getting screwed out of. You and your crew need to figure out how to turn these corporate hounds upside down and give the people what they want, on your terms. this is absurd. Because we don’t live in select “markets” we get screwed too.

Glad Peeples, Oblivion and 42 got national theater saturation tho all totally worth while.

May 13, 2013 at 10:08 pm

27. Slaytanic Wehrmacht

I’m a big fan of Rob Zombie’s movies, The Devil’s Rejects is my favorite. I have been looking forward to seeing The Lords of Salem, but never heard of it coming to theaters around here(Amarillo, TX). I guess I’ll have to wait til it comes out on video. On Amazon, the pre-order price for Blu-Ray is $35.99, but says the price could change before release, why would it cost so much?

May 11, 2013 at 9:42 pm

29. Rachel

I read the novel and had no idea a movie was being made, much less already completed. As soon as I finished the book, the movie was already finished and released! Rarely happens. I was psyched until weeks later I am still going crazy trying to find a place to see it. And I am from Boston, thought if anywhere maybe SOMEPLACE around here would show it. Hope the losers with the money who are in charge of spending some dough to get movies released will realize a lot of us want to see it. God love ya for getting this thing even finished, can’t imagine having to deal with the idiots with the money who decide what worthwhile entertainment is – Iron Man 3? No f-n thanks. Hope The Lords movie gets the recognition and play an original story should. I hope Tony Stark crashes into a wall and finally folds like an accordion. But then there will always just be a Transformers 18 to make up for lovable DOA Tony and his lovable and finally “unrepairable” flying suit. The novel was awesome. Thanks for that. And I will see this film as soon as it’s possible.

May 11, 2013 at 11:13 am