header

Facebook-button   twitter-button  

Forum

REGISTRATION IS FREE! Welcome to the official Rob Zombie forum. As a registered member of the site you get access to; a personal profile for updating statuses, chatting with friends etc, and a mail system. For more, hover over the RZ Community button on the menu. You can also comment on news stories (non members can post but must enter valid email into comment area, or login using Facebook or Twitter accounts) and upload to one of a number of public upload galleries plus comment and vote on them. Please read House Rules.

Quick Links: Your Profile | Your Messages  |  Members List  | House Rules |

Topic Subject
Topic Text
Move Category:
Movie Discussion (SPOILERS)
Started by Chicken Fucker Clevon M Tragedy666 1 year ago

THIS TOPIC IS INTENDED FOR THOSE WHO HAVE SEEN THE FILM..... To Discuss and Analyze it.  May contain significant SPOILERS

SPOILERS!!!!!!

So, what did you guys think of the movie?!  I fucking loved it!  It was definitely his most fucked up film yet (which is a good thing!)  

What are your thoughts on the ending?

We came up with 3 scenerios...    

1.  that none of it had even necessarily happened...  It seems like every freaky thing followed by her waking up, indicating it was a dream/nightmare.  Finally when stuff seems to happen in reality, by that point she had already begun using drugs again....the whole thing could have been a hallucination.

2.  It was all real and they conjured up Satan?  The Antichrist?  Your thoughts??

3.  That there really was some bizzare cult that worships this stuff and they all committed a mass suicide ala Jonestown or Heavens Gate.  They didn't actually conjure up any devils....they thought they were of course, but they were just crazy brainwashed weirdo's that got involved in this particular cult and then mass suicide

What do you guys think?   There are many other possibilities as well I'm sure.  Please share them! 

I'm going again tonight with a different set of friends.  I'm looking forward to seeing it again.  I feel like there might be a lot of hidden things to pick up on.  This film just begs for multiple viewings!

I remember getting out of the theater and just thinking....what the fuck did I just watch?  I just can't even wrap my head around some of it.  I NEED to see it again!!!

My girlfriend loved it too!  She said it was like Kubrick meets Kenneth Anger by way of Rob Zombie!  Awesome compliment!   I asked one friend that was with us if he liked it and he said in a funny voice "I don't know!"  He couldn't even tell if he liked it or not it was so fucked up!  I know he loved it though.  He was just really confused.  haha.

What were your experiences? 

Tiny domphilina replied 1 year ago...

I saw it last night..... strange about sums it up ( it wouldn't be Zombie if it wasn't It's one of the things we love about him). Talking about it after with a few others there 1 loved it and 1 was a I don't get it. The part where he's laughing and she goes why are you still laughing I'm not laughing..... I go to my hubby that's so me... his reply was yes it is same tone too. I'm glad you don't continue like they did also. (those who saw it know what came next) Next time he pisses me off I'll have to remember to ask him if he'd like a fresh pot of tea.LOL. as for 1 2 or 3 sinarios ( i know not sure how to spell it though) I'm gonna go with 3.

Chicken Fucker Clevon M Tragedy666 replied 1 year ago...

Well, some sources have reported Lords of Salem only made about $630,000 this opening weekend.  I was hoping the numbers would have been significantly higher. But I suppose it is to be expected with hardly any marketing or promotions.  It's probably mostly just us, the Zombie fans, supporting this film.  There is still time.  Tell some friends.  Write some reviews.  With a film like this, it seems like a natural grower...  The longer it's out, the more will talk about it and want to see it.  Rob should have personally bought some tv ad time if he can afford it.  I never really saw any info about this film anywhere that wasn't related to this site.  Spread the word!

Captain Spauldin Moon replied 1 year ago...

I hate to say it but we need some group bitching about the Satanic imagery in the film...To generate controversy. That alone will get people in the theaters,people who may not have been interested before, just to see what the big deal is, and why people are pissed off.

psykocopkiller replied 1 year ago...

Though i do believe in devil/demon conjuration. i dont believe it happened in this case. my reasoning is that if they really did summon the man, no one would have been able to say so. 

Otis B. Driftwood livingdeadgirlnicole1031 replied 1 year ago...

Honestly I highly recommend the novel to anyone that seens the film. There was a alot of really cool things in the book I wanted to see on the big screen that wasn't there but I really liked how tripped out it was.. I really think it helped that I read the novel first. it gave a lot of the back story and explained alot of what was going on in the film. I was actually explaining some things to my husband who didnt read it and he said by me telling him those things from the book it made more sense. I was really hoping to see the other descendent woman chop up their men in the film the way they did in the book. But then they did not really get into the other characters that were a part of the killing of the witches. They only got into Holly's background with Dr. Hawthorne. Had he got more into the other characters then Sid would have had a bigger role But like all books that are movies they have to cut things down. I just think the novel explains so much and brings so much of what is on the screen come full circle. I would have liked to have seen Ken Foree try to save her at the end like in the book as well. Or explain how he got her out of trouble before when she was on drugs and got her the job back. To me in the book he was almost a father figure to her and I didn't feel that completely in the movie but sensed it cause of the book. 

I am curious why the dogs name was changed from Steve to Troy ha ha. Maybe I will go over to the other forum and ask Rob ha ha. 

Tiny domphilina replied 1 year ago...

To Moon.... are you up to playing mascarade? We could always play the part of the offended ones. Why wait for them to start bitching?

That's a great idea Moon!  lol  It would be fun to stir up a controversy just as Rosemary's Baby did back in 68.  That is also a great and interesting question about the dog name.  You should ask him!  ...Although, it might be something stupid like the dog's name in real life was Troy and that is the only name he would listen to.  lol

Tiny horror2 replied 1 year ago...

You are right, Moon. Just look at how controversy helped films like I Spit On Your Grave, Cannibal Holocaust, and Silent Night Deadly Night. Those films likely wouldn't be quite as well known as they are today without all the controversy and bannings they got. 

Well, where would be a good site to start at, and how convincing can you be if you were pretending to be someone who saw the movie, and was super offended and or worried, because it "promotes Satanism"?

Because, I don't even know what people with that point of view would actually say..And, I don't think I could type out the words without typing LOL...

Brooder replied 1 year ago...

Awesome movie! I seen it today.

It actually could have been a lot worse.  It cost around $2,500,000  to make and it is still growing strong.  It's up to about $800,000 now and will surely get past the $1,000,000 mark by the weekend.

Sadly, it seems to be VERY heavily downloaded on certain torrent sites.  Any of you get the UK dvd yet?  Any cool special features or commentaries?  I pre-ordered mine...still waiting to recieve it.  I don't think a PS3 will play region 2 dvds....hopefully I can find a region 0 dvd player or maybe my laptop will work?

Tiny horror2 replied 1 year ago...

I pre-ordered the UK DVD as well since I couldn't get to a theater to see it. I hope it gets here soon. I think if it doesn't make a profit in theaters, it will surely make one with DVD/Blu-Ray sales. Though even if it doesn't, no amount of money will change how good the film undoubtedly is. Like I said, I haven't seen it yet, but I'm absolutely certain I will love it just the same.

I just got my UK dvd actually.  Bad news.  It's running time is 96mins.  The film in theaters in the USA is 101mins.   .....it sucks we lost at least 5 mins of footage because of the ratings system.   Fortunately, the USA dvd is now up on Amazon for preorder!!!

TRAVIS BICKLE replied 1 year ago...

I just saw it.  I was alone in a theater at a 10:15pm showing.  The place was built to resemble an old 40s style, so atmosphere wise, this was the perfect setting to watch a film like this.  I had my own private screening.  Obviously, like many of us, Rob loves Kubrick.  This film is a testament to his love for Clockwork Orange and The Shining (especially with the "Monday" "Tuesday" title cards).  A director overlooked in other fan's posts/reviews is Ken Russell.  There are a great many similarities between Russell's work and Zombie's latest (ex. The Devils and Lair of the White Worm).  Sexual and blasphemous images flashing on the screen scream of Russell.  As for my opinion of the film...Uh...I'm still processing it, which I guess was his intention.  Quick accolades go to the set design, prosthetics, and props which were amazing considering the low budget he had to work with.  I would have liked to see Zombie film regulars Ken Foree and Sid Haig have bigger parts.  Also, NO BILL MOSELEY!??  Anyway, long time fan of RZ, always happy to check out his latest artistic endevour. Off to bed, I'm not sure whether I'm looking forward to my dreams or not......LONG LIVE THE ELECTRIC HEAD.  \m/ \m/

Pleasant dreams.LOL..So far Lords of Salem hasn't affected my dreams..I did have some dreams about the characters from House of 1000 Corpses off and on for awhile in 2004..But they weren't nightmares. In one of them I walked into town, and I saw Captain Spaulding opened a shop, so I went in to ask him for a job..

t

I'm going again to see this film tomorrow night to see if I have any other thoughts about it.  It's been some time now for the film to really sit in my mind and I thought I'd share with all of  you a fragment of my thoughts.  This is what I posted on facebook in a conversation with two other people.  The one person, although a hardcore Zombie fan, did not like it and admitted being a bit disappointed by it.  The other person has not yet seen it and was wondering about it.  They were almost going to let the first person talk them into not seeing it until I jumped on board.  ... So here is my thoughts now that I've had a couple weeks, and two viewings, to let it all digest--

From a Facebook conversation:

No, you should definitely watch it! It's really cool. It's just completely different. Don't expect anything like his other films. If your going into the film expecting a ton of violence and blood, you'll be disappointed. It's not that kind of film. More of like a slow burn psychological trip. Kind of slow paced like The Shining or Rosemary's Baby, but with a ton of crazy trippy scenes. I thought it was awesome. But I must admit, the characters are kind of poorly developed. But then again, the characters were pretty poorly developed in House of 1000 Corpses too...and that was part of the films charm...you really didn't know a lot about these characters at all.

I think if Rob Zombie has any failure at being a director, it's making assumptions that us fans can see and understand everything he thought of in his head. You kind of have to spell it out better for an audience. We can't see in his brain. I think the movie would have benefited from actually being a lot longer...maybe even a good 2 or 2 1/2 hours with a ton more dialogue and crazy shit happening. As I said, the characters were just not fully developed. We couldn't really care that much about Heidi (Sheri Moon Zombie's character) because we really didn't get to see that much of her depression. Zombie assumes we are on the same page as him, but he should of went and filmed a lot more stuff. But then again, he wanted to, but it was a SUPER low budget movie...something like 2 million bucks. He only had 17 days to shoot. Kind of sucky conditions to make some great piece of art. It is what it is and I love it though! I'd recommend to both of you to buy his book of the same name Lords of Salem in stores now. That book gives much more detail and was originally what he wanted to film, but he had to change a lot and cut a lot of shit out because of timing and money constraints. So check out the book and then watch the movie again!"

So the main point of this was the part where I mention "under developed characters".  I absolutely loved this movie and do not want to make it seem like I didn't.  But I do feel it may have been even better with being longer and spoon feeding us more information.  "The Shining", a film that frequently gets referenced when discussing Lords of Salem, runs 146 mins.  And you can be sure that, like all films, this final time length is after a series of cuts and edits.  Before cuts, it what god-knows how long.  With the intense shooting schedule of around 200 days, the meticulous detail freak that Kubrick was, this 146 min edit of the film was the one that Kubrick chose for people to see.  Clockwork Orange was 137 mins.  And Rosemary's Baby was also 137 mins.

I think Rob did an excellent job of keeping things interesting.  There is a weird moment or "scare" at all the right times.  But, after reading the book, I would have loved more dilague with Heidi and the big H team.  I do think that it wasn't as easy feeling bad for Heidi (and this has nothing to do with Sheri's performance!  She was fantastic!)  but there simply needed to be more scenes really showing her decent into madness.  Maybe show some flashbacks to when she used to be a heavy drug user.

Maybe I just want more of this movie.  It was so good...I just can't stop thinking about it.  I would have loved more scenes with the 3 sisters as well!  I want more of The Lords of Salem!

Just some thoughts.... what are your thoughts?  You do you guys feel that more character developement would have helped the film?  I think this film is great but I can't stop feeling kind of bad that Zombie didn't get to shoot everything he originally intended....but also, maybe those contraints force creative bursts that inevitably help a film in some cases....

LucidLovecraftian replied 1 year ago...

really loved the movie and really enjoyed Rob doing something different, i saw the whole thing as a kinda satanic biblical tale of Mary, theres a strong woman who has no direction in life, immaculate conception and then that scene with her on top of the bodies, lots of parallels. 

Also the dogs real name was Troy so probably the reason it was changed 

Yeah, that makes sense..Working with animals is probably hard at times on films..It is probably hard to get a dog to act when you call him by a name that isn't really his own. By the way, I thought Troy was adorable.

At the end of the film, I definately saw the parallels between Hedi and Mary.

And, I think Rob did a good job of showing the audience that Hedi used to be an addict. There was that scene with her at a meeting towards the beginning of the film. If I remember correctly ( because unfortunately, the film is only playing in my area in a theater that is pretty far away, and I have only gotten to see it once)she went after having nightmares/visions of the witches more than one time. Often, if someone has a history of drugs, they will want to use if something really stressful happens, and I have seen people in that situation go to meetings to avoid using.

I also wanted to know more about the 3 sisters. I have been wondering if they are biologically sisters, or they consider themselves sisters because they belong to the same coven. And, I think how they became a part of that coven and learned about the curse on Salem would also be an interesting story.

Man, Lords of Salem is no longer in the theaters around my house at all.... Does anyone know if there are any plans to move the movie to lower priced theaters as is common for most movies that have been out for awhile?  I still wanted to take a couple friends with to see the film that didn't get a chance to go with me the times I went.

I don't know..And, in my area, we don't really have theaters like that. I just would really love to see it again..But, if I can't see it again soon in the theater, at least I will be really excited to get my copy on Blu Ray.

Black Water replied 1 year ago...

I saw the movie for myself last Tuesday, and I'm still trying to puzzle it out. I was left with a lot of questions, but that was probably Mr. Zombie's intent.

All the same, I'm confused as to why the three witches didn't murder Whitey, while they killed poor old Francis in cold blood. The weird thing is, Francis came to see Heidi for essentially the same reasons Whitey did (they were both concerned about her), so why did the witches leave Whitey alone? Was it because he secretly shared some of their philosophy about God and the Devil? Or did Whitey escape their wrath because he was basically Rob Zombie in disguise? {#emotions_dlg.hmmm}

(The movie didn't kill off Heidi's dog either, which I thought was a little odd. Speaking as someone who loves dogs, I'm not exactly complaining, but usually in this kind of film, the dog is the first guy to get axed! )

Ben replied 11 months ago...

Okay ... I finally saw it.

Sorry Rob ... it sucked the sweat from a dead man's testicles.

What radio staion or DJ would play that irritating record more then once?  Why would an event be planned around that?  Who plans any kind of event like that, without involving the band who recorded the album.  Especially an album, that only had one looping track? 

There was no real character background or developemnt.  The bit about her being a former addict and how her friends were affected by it wasn't explored.  Heidi descended into ... whatever ... and I just couldn't care.  There was nothing about this story that made you care if Heidi lived, died or lived in sin with a muskrat.

Those were the bizarrest Satanists I've ever seen.  Why would anyone join?  All accounts of Satanism show people getting into it for power (fame, wealth, women, immortality, etc ...)  Who joins a cult just to rub themselves in filth and watch their teeth rot in their mouths?

"American Witch" as a full length animated movie woulda been so much better.

I really just want my Sunday night back.

Baby Firefly euphorious replied 11 months ago...

My honest opinion is...... first let me say that I love Rob and his movies so much but this one was so not scary or gory. I dig the satanic, witch stuff i think more could have been done with it but it got boring for me the last 30 minutes i loved tho and i loved the casting that was great!! I dont think its his  most fucked up movie ever house of 1000 corpses was pretty gnarly. IDK thats my honest opinion tho. 

Captain Spauldin Moon replied 11 months ago...

Ok, Ben, for one, back when the Salem Witch Trials took place, everyone's teeth rotted in their mouth.Not just the Satanists in the movie, after all, back then, no one had  the kind of dental hygeine we have now.Also, if you knew much about people practiving the occult, you would know people get into it for all kind of reasons..And, yes, some of them do get naked and rub dirt on themselves to connect themselves more to nature or to certain deities/spirits with wild energy. The witches in this film probably joined the coven to rebel against the puritans in Salem and their rules. Also, the fact that the radio station would play the song makes sense to me. The song was something supernatural, it was the means to opening the gates of Hell, and part of a curse that had been building up for over 100 years. In a movie like this, of course it would have a wierd influence on certain people who listened to it. Anyway, I love this movie, and I am sorry it wasn't "Hollywood" enough for you.

You are not permitted to reply on this forum. Login...

css.php