header

Forum

REGISTRATION IS FREE! Welcome to the official Rob Zombie forum. As a registered member of the site you get access to; a personal profile for updating statuses, chatting with friends etc, mail system, and personal gallery. For more, hover over the RZ Community button on the menu. You can also comment on news stories (non members can post but must enter valid email into comment area, or login using Facebook or Twitter accounts) and upload to one of a number of public upload galleries plus comment and vote on them. Please read House Rules.

Quick Links: Your Profile | Your Messages  |  Your Personal Gallery  | Members List  | House Rules |

Topic Subject
Topic Text
Move Category:
Where will Lords Of Salem play??
Started by Unholy M Tragedy666 1 year ago

The Lords of Salem is out in 17 days...  We should probably be talking about where to find this film.  I read awhile back either on this site, or some interview/review that was at least linked to from this site, that TLOS will only be playing in about 75 theaters.  This is significantly less than the limited release that House of 1000 Corpses got upon initial release which about around 600 screens.  

Corpses did so well that it eventually got a more wide release proving Rob Zombie's first feature a success.  It ended up getting around 1000 screens.  Which doesn't seem like much, but most mainstream wide release get between 1000-2000 anyway.

Again, Lords of Salem is apparently only getting 75 screens!  If this information is true, it might be quite difficult finding the movie.  Let's help eachother out by posting any theaters we can find that is playing it.

Also Emma, if it's in your power at all to get any information about theaters playing Lords of Salem, if you could post them that would be amazing!  The date is coming sooner than we think now and I'm afraid I won't have any idea where to go to see it.  I know for a fact the AMC theater I usually go to informed me they will NOT be carrying it.  I'm going to have to travel somewhere different.

Let's all see this thing as much as we can and make it one of Rob's most successful films yet! 

Captain Spauldin Moon replied 1 year ago...

Damn, only 75 screens? That is messed up..Hopefully one of them is going to be in Bellingham Washington.

Captain Spauldin Emma replied 1 year ago...

I know its being billed as a "limited release" - however I have put that question into the management to see if I can get something more concrete.  Give me a few days.

Clients: Rob Zombie, John 5, Piggy D, Tommy Clufetos: see my work: http://www.facebook.com/1976designs

Unholy M Tragedy666 replied 1 year ago...

My bad.....   This was the news article I was referring to   http://www.deadline.com/2013/02/lords-of-salem-movie-rob-zombie-exclusive-clip/

It announced there that Lords of Salem will be released to 75 MARKETS.  Not 75 theaters.  Sorry for the mistake / misquote.

So the question now is, what exactly does "75 markets" mean?  I'm going to do some research.  ..Maybe 75 markets really does = 75 theaters.  Are they one and the same?  Let's hope not.

This makes me wonder what the case really was for Corpses that I keep referencing.  Was it 600 theaters or 600 markets?

Thanks Emma! 

Tiny werewolf19 replied 1 year ago...

Please tell me it will be in Devils Lake, North Dakota! There are fans up here!!

Damn, that scared me...I even successfully requested the day off to go see the movie. Really looking forward to going to see it in Bellingham.

Dick dale replied 1 year ago...

I would like to know if its getting an Australian Theatrical Release. Cheers!

Omg, Moon... I'm sorry if my "75 theater" comment scared you into requesting off from work!  I didn't intend to do that!  

I still am unsure what "markets" mean, but it's looking like it could mean demographics.  If you download the press kit on wwwlordsofsalem.com you will find this:

April 19th – National opening including New York, Los Angeles, Boston, San Francisco, Chicago, Philadelphia, DC, Miami, Dallas, Houston, Detroit – and more

So big cities should be carrying it...however I have still had no luck finding a theater in the Chicago area.... any help would be appreciated.

Here is another interesting thing I found.  A "Director's Statement" by Rob Zombie.

:::WARNING:::  POSSIBLE SPOILERS

DIRECTOR’S STATEMENT:

“In Salem, to renounce belief in the invisible world is the only disease permitted to afflict the stimulation of the imagination. Congregational strife in Salem Village makes this spectral evidence its own "violent tempest for compensation concerning the winter of The Lords" -- keep in mind that these elements alone are not enough to explain the phenomenon precisely known as the trials. It is because we seek independence, let us not be ungrateful to such a backlash and reversals of accustomed perspectives and valuations within the discovery and testimony of which she was tried for witchcraft. Should it help to confirm the suspicions that she was indeed a practicing witch -- to which the spirit has seen mischievousness and futility of the goat and shall have it raged against itself. 

To thrive in this way is no small discipline and fascination for its lost future -- "The residents of Salem were after all, Puritans, which means they viewed their community not just as a group of individuals, but as a single entity united under the fist of God" (which is nonsensical because it was believed that a witch could harm someone by sticking pins and other objects into a poppet that represented the victim -- total absurdity within the realm of Margaret Morgan and the coven of six witches), but as is the ability to control one's knowing -- it is those who began pointing their fingers at others to take the conjecture and to dispose of them, so that only one covered in the shroud knows how to employ a variety of interpretations in the service of the mammoth (not merely over the appearance of the senses, but a much higher kind of worship when accusations of witchcraft became as common as chopping wood). This situation spawned extreme tension and cruelty against reason -- a voluptuous pleasure primed to reach its height when the primal society of reason declared that "flawless recitation did little in impeding the witch trials" but "there is a thread of truth in being trapped in the life of the sheep -- but reason is excluded from the flock!"

Only the goat knows free will so he will always be punished and weaned. The beast is not without sorrow that he and her child are to be separated at birth -- the beast who had first lain under her blood, rested at her breast no more.

So together for that brief while, the notion of any sight or sound exposed on film -- snares of such contradictory concepts as "pure reason in the eyes of God and beyond absolute spirituality". Henceforth, let us be on guard against the dangerous old conceptual fiction so near to the silver screen (supposing we were capable of this) and enjoy the hot buttered popcorn.

Though this alone becomes something lacking; this world always demanded the "eye of absurdity" proclaim that, "No one has died as a convicted witch in America again after the Salem witch trial" -- but to this I must say -- hooray for Hollywood.”

~ Rob Zombie

I was going to request that day off anyway. I have some vacation days to use.

Tiny horror2 replied 1 year ago...

If it is a limited release, it probably won't play anywhere near this small town. I imagine I'll probably have to wait for the DVD release and who knows when that will be.

wishbone replied 1 year ago...

in west michigan (grand rapids area the Lords is playing at 3 of the 4 celebration cinemas in the area. starting the 19th.  so people on the lake michigan side of the state will have several theaters to choose from!

WZ

Wishbone, thank you for that info!!  I'm going to hopefully find somewhere closer, but now I know that if I absolutely have to, I can drive the 3 hours to see this damn movie I've been waiting for forever!

Horror2,  ya never know.  You could get lucky!  But chances are you might have to go to a bigger city....good luck!  And dvd's usually come out around 4 months after the theatrical run.  I've seen this pattern time and time again.  There are exceptions of course, but I'd expect a dvd sometime in late August-mid September... surely before...and just in time for Halloween! 

August or September?!? I don't want to wait that long to see the movie, but I might not have a choice in the matter. I hope this film really is an exception. But regardless of whether I can see the film in theaters or have to wait months for the DVD, I will see the movie eventually and am sure I will love it.

Do you have Comcast? If it does turn out to be a limited release and there is not a theater near you, you might find it on OnDEMAND...Comcast sometimes does that..I couldn't get to a theater for Hatchet 2 and John Dies at The End, because they were playing too far away from me..But they were on Comcast under their same day as theaters section.

^^^  thats a great thing to keep in mind.  Come hell or high water, I will find a theater playing this opening night!!  But it's nice to know there are other alternatives in the case that it is playing in exceptionally far areas.  12 days you guys!!  Are you pumped yet?!

I will find a theater too..But if it is playing on OnDemand, I might just rent it and watch it a 2nd time at home.

I contacted all the weird independent theaters that play underground and indie films yesterday.  I'm glad I found them because they are the type that have Rocky Horror showings and midnight screenings of Cannibal Holocaust just like old Grindhouse.  Actually went to one last night for the first time to see the new documentary Room 237.  It was very good! 

But....no such luck when it comes to TLOS.  They said they would not be getting it.  I thought for sure since they are known to play limited films and pretty much anything that is not the big budget mainstream pictures.

There are about 4 or 5 of them scattered around all of Chicago.  Prior to discovering their showing of Room 237 that I'd been meaning to see, I was just looking for some place that might play Lords'.  And the funny thing was, each of these theaters that I called said they weren't playing it but recommended the other couple of theaters.  Then when I told them I had already called those theaters, they were all surprised to find that none of them were playing.

Finally one place said something.  I'm not sure if the guy knew what he was talking about or anything, but he seemed confident that there should be no problem with a Rob Zombie film.  And that even though it's a "limited release", he just said it will start out in fewer places and gradually grow to a wide release after a few weeks more than likely.  He also said that it's not uncommon for theaters to not even necessarily know what films they are having until just a week, or sometimes even just a few days before the release.  I kind of think thats bullshit though because it seems like most theaters know the movies they are getting months in advance, hence putting up coming soon posters all over the theater.

I guess we'll find out one way or another very very soon...  12 more days guys!

I think I found a theater playing it but it is about an hour and a half away from me and I don't have a car and wouldn't want to bother people by asking them to drive me. But if anyone else reading lives in Ohio, this theater's website lists it under their Coming Soon section so I assume that means they're playing it.

http://gatewayfilmcenter.com/movies/coming-soon/

Thanks for finding this!  Hopefully it helps some fans!  But ugh....  I'll drive up there if I HAVE to!  I've actually been going to Ohio a lot lately anyway for concerts and horror conventions.  I'll be in Columbus for Rock On The Range.  At least we are making some progress!  Nice find!

Well, I'm a lot more confident now that AMC interviewed him about Lords'.  They are a huge theater chain.  If it's going to AMC, we should be ok....

Leaving in about 40 mins to see a midnight screening of LORDS OF SALEM!!!!!!!!!!!  Can't wait you guys!!!   Have any of you seen it yet?  Surely some are going tonight for the 18th screenings......

It's finally here!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Hope you have fun..I am going tomorrow..The nearest theater to me which is screening it is about an hour away.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT.......  It was amazing!  I just can't stop thinking about.....  I'm not sure what to make of it.  Without giving anything away, I feel like there are several possibilities about what exactly happens at the end...

It's a must see!   It's really nothing like his other films.  The ONLY similarities would be some clever script writing in the radio station scenes.....  Completely different movie.  And I totally understand now why it didn't get a mainstream release, but I also find that really sad.  This is truly an amazing piece of art that should be welcomed and embraced by a mainstream audience...it deserves it.

I'm going again tomorrow as well.  This movie really SCREAMS multiple viewings.  Theres a couple things I've gotta wrap my head around... looking forward to going again tomorrow... 

You are not permitted to reply on this forum. Login...

css.php