header

Facebook-button   twitter-button    

Forum

REGISTRATION IS FREE! Welcome to the official Rob Zombie forum. As a registered member of the site you get access to; a personal profile for updating statuses, chatting with friends etc, and a mail system. For more, hover over the RZ Community button on the menu. You can also comment on news stories (non members can post but must enter valid email into comment area, or login using Facebook or Twitter accounts) and upload to one of a number of public upload galleries plus comment and vote on them. Please read House Rules.

Quick Links: Your Profile | Your Messages  |  Members List  | House Rules |

Topic Subject
Topic Text
Move Category:
Bring Back Spell Check?
Started by Chicken Fucker Clevon M Tragedy666 1 year ago

Spell Check is an interesting thing.  Upon it's first debut, people criticized it for "allowing people to have bad grammar/spelling/punctuation".  Some thought it would influence people to not care how they speak, because Spell Check would fix it for them.  So they don't have to think for themselves anymore. 

That may have been true initially.  But in this day and age with Facebook and news feeds displaying thousands of peoples ignorance, your mind can't help but subconsciously allow some of that bad information to seep in.  The mind is such a sponge.  It's great and terrible at the same time.  When you see the word "definitely" spelled with an "A" countless times a day, eventually you start questioning yourself.  And then it becomes you.  You may not even be trying to read all of these things.  But if your eyes see it, the brain processes it whether we think we are taking in the information or not.

I am a far worse speller and my vocabulary has been compromised and I truly believe facebook people are to blame.  I was doing just fine before I started a facebook and began reading all kinds of stupidity on a daily basis.  It inspires me to read great literature to try and combat it.  But it may very well be futile.

Spell Check is that little annoying asshole who doesn't care about smacking you in the face and telling you when you are wrong.  You then see it correctly and you start remembering the obvious.

Can we bring it back?  lol

P.S.  This all sounds a bit melodramatic, but I'm actually quite serious.  I really believe that the mind soaks up this bad information that our Facebook and other social networking sites friends display rather frequently.  Perhaps they are living examples of our failed education system.  But I've been out of school for several years!  And I happen to be a lover of words/vocab/spelling/and over all english.  So it irks me when I make countless of ignorant and obvious mistakes. 

TracyQ replied 1 year ago...

I hope so! I wonder how many folks will see that their entire post is underlined in red?

Captain Spauldin Moon replied 1 year ago...

To be fair, some people have so many mispelling online not because they are stupid,but because they have some issues with typing. Or the computers or other devices they are accessing the internet with are not the best..And, then there are some people whose first language is not English, and they are just learning to write in it.  I know people who fall into all those categories.

Dr Satan Draghoul replied 1 year ago...

I can understand why M_Tragedy666 would want this feature back on the board.  But at the sametime if it's something I can read and just about understand then i'm good. 

You have some good point's too Moon. 

The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh ~ Silent Hill

Chicken Fucker Clevon M Tragedy666 replied 1 year ago...

Moon-- Very very true.  I can't tell you how many times I've misspelled things on purpose using my crappy cell phone to text or whatever just to make it easier.  I know there are plenty of reasons.  But some of it is just poor spelling skills.  And I even admitted that I am among these people now!  lol.  It sucks.  I'm no where near how I was maybe even just a few years ago because of constant influence/re-training the brain.

I think there is a difference, and an obvious one, when it comes to people doing it on purpose.  For example, if you have the shitty phone I do, you might spell "your" or "you're" as "ur".  There are plenty of short cuts.  And I didn't mean to insult anyone.  Again, I put myself in the same boat.  But there are also certain examples as I've given with the word "definitely" being spelled with an "A".  So, "definately".  It's embarressing to admit that I found myself spelling it that way a few months ago.  And then because of a spell check on another message board, I realized and learned from the mistake.  So basically I just think that it could help and teach people.  No ego's or anything like that.  Not calling anyone stupid.  Maybe they knew at one point and forgot because everyone else was doing.  Either way, it doesn't force you to fix any mistake.  I just think it can be helpful, so why not have it?

Captain Spauldin Moon replied 1 year ago...

I do know someone who writes " U" instead of "You"..It has always driven me crazy for some reason..And, no that person isn't a bad speller..He just likes writing it that way.

Sheriff Wydell Emma Firefly replied 1 year ago...

I agree, internet and text speak has changed - in some ways for the worse - spelling - however not sure why this is in the site suggestion area as it's not really something I can do here to change the way people post online.

The other factor, as has been mentioned, is that we and others get alot of people on board for whom english is not a first language and of course others have disabilities like dyslexia.

I can look and see if the tiny mce text editor we use to post our comments has a spell check facility on it. 

Clients: Rob Zombie, John 5, Piggy D see my work: http://www.facebook.com/1976designs

Wasn't spell check a part of this site at one point?  I thought I remembered it being here and then one day it was gone.  This thread is in the site suggestion area because it's suggesting to bring back a feature that was once on this site.  All of those points seem to be in favor of it.  I wonder what it does for people with dyslexia.  I would imagine it may be helpful to them in part in their quest to overcome the disorder.  Not sure if thats how it works...but it's an interesting thought.  And those whom English is not the native language...again it seems if they are making a true stab at learning English, it would only help and assist them when they are perhaps unsure.

No one will change the way anyone speaks.  But it's a nice tool for people who care.  It occasionally helps me, so I can only assume that it occasionally helps others as well.

Anyway, it was just an idea to improve the site.  It's not a huge deal or anything  lol.  Sorry if I made it sound as if it were.  I stand by what I said, but I may have made it sound far more serious than it actually is.  It's really no big deal either way.  But thanks for taking the time to look into it! 

Otis B. Driftwood Lola666Zombie replied 1 year ago...

I think spellcheck now a days is a must. if people insist on being lazy, illiterate, stupid and ignorant, they should do it with something else, and language should not be damaged. by these people's action, or lack of.

I do not feel it is a matter with the computer, 2nd language or any othe excuse. World is full of them to be used for those who want to excuse their failure.

I also do not feel that repeatedly typing "your" instead of "you're" or "you are" , "their" instead of "they're" or "they are" , "there" also mistakenly used to replace pronoun plus verb and other very, very annoying grammar/spell mistakes are not excusable.

Simpletons are, in real life, always trying to catch up. It i about time they finally do catch up over the internet's virtual world. There is no need to "dumb it out" for them.

Thank you for keeping the forum  very nice and organized, Emma! 

I was writing this morning on my iPad with a god awful headache so I wanted to re-write what I said.

@M Tragedy666  I wasn't trying to denegrate your thread but I wondered - given some of the comments on here - if it were a site request or  a general grievance thread.  I understand the frustration believe me.  I do wonder how we have become so lax - it makes me shudder when I read stories of kids putting in exam papers in text speak etc.  

As to a spellcheck here - there has never been one installed here.  What you may have seen, in terms of a red line under words spelt wrong, is a standard web spelling pick-up.  It is not something I have put in. The new Tiny MCE text area can be outfitted with a spell check upgrade (checked this after yesterday) but I would have to find out from the community plugin maker if it is compatiable.  

@Lola666Zombie I understand your points and it is frustrating to see so fundamental mistakes such as "your" and "you're".  I also don't think it fair to call people "simpletons".

Clients: Rob Zombie, John 5, Piggy D see my work: http://www.facebook.com/1976designs

@Emma in MY opinion people who KNOWN the right way and still choose to ignore proper language are simpletons.

as I feel free to disagree with other people's opinions, such as thinking mispelling is OK, I think I can also express my opinion aka what I think about mispellings sources!

We have 7.billion citizens on earth and each person is different. I think people should be ready and always expect to encounter someone who will think differently about the same subject. You think it is not fair to call those people simpletons, I think it is probably the best word to describe what they are. Some people agree with you, some people agree with me and some people will come with  3rd opinion. It's all good. As long as the debate stays civilized, I think we should hear all angles of the subject

It's completely a site request.  But, rather than just a simple 2 sentence request, I thought I'd try to turn it into a discussion as well by bringing my idea's/points and seeing if anyone agreed with them or what people thought about the topic.

What would be the difference between a 'real' "spell check" and the spelling web pick-up with the red line under words spelt wrong?  It seems like the same basic idea...just maybe not as many features?  That is what I was talking about.  If not a complete program with "spell check", even what was originally on here I think is fine.  It at least helps to an extent I feel.

One final idea...which, I have to admit...this idea is not very thought out.  It's a bit of a last minute idea or realization.  It could be totally wrong, but I thought I'd play devil's advocate and throw a complete 180 as far as matters are concerned.  (I still want the spell check and think it's important...but to look at it in another way...)  What is so bad about spelling things in your own way?  Why must we listen to old rules?  Is language not more colorful than that?  I mean, I started this thread because poor grammer of the masses has upset me.  But why does it upset me?  I mean, I feel the "rules" of the language are important because based on punctuation, the entire word or phrase could potentially take on a completely different meaning.  But really...is it THAT important?  Personally, I believe that all school subjects helps the young mind to think better.  It's to help someone think more critically.  So maybe that is why "unnecessary" topics are taught.  To gauge your intake of knowledge and to realize your potential of retaining information.  Because much of it may not be important.

Don't think of these words as hypocrisy.  I stand by my original words.  I just thought I'd try to challenge people.  I'd be interesting in hearing rebuttals to my words in this post.  And again, I think it's more useful to have a discussion rather than post a few words that would make it practically useless for anyone to comment.  I want to promote discussion and fan discussion.  Disagreements are fine if done tastefully.  I just gave 2 very different points.  My inital post was why it's necessary...this is why it may not matter at all..(does anything matter?)  So comment and discuss.  I'll be interested in seeing contrary points. 

*grammar

YES, it is important, and I tell you why.

People should always try to excel in everything they do, including perfect use of  language. Why be an average person when you can try to be the BEST?

not everyone to tries succeeds but everyone who does succeed, did try

@Lola666Zombie I didn't say you couldn't have an opinion, I simply disagree with calling people simpletons as its too blanket a statement to make especially when things aren't so black and white.

@M Tragedy666 - no problem, just wanted to clarify.  As I mentioned I have never put a spell check on the site.  What you may have seen before is something your browser does HOWEVER the new text editor we have seems to have done something there - as I mentioned there is a possible download which will allow me to add spellcheck to the different options you see on the text editor HOWEVER as this tet editor is built into the community plugin I have to find out from the plugin creator if its actionable without breaking code within the site.

@Emma I was just clarifying and going through why I think the way I do. No, you didn't say I cannot have an opinion, and I didn't say you said that! I do apologize if it sounded this way!!!!!!

I feel certain things have to be objective and plain black and white. CERTAIN things, NOT everything. I am all for understanding all shades between black and white, but in certain subjects you can get lost if you do so. Again, my opinion!!

You are not permitted to reply on this forum. Login...

css.php