header

Facebook-button   twitter-button    

Forum

REGISTRATION IS FREE! Welcome to the official Rob Zombie forum. As a registered member of the site you get access to; a personal profile for updating statuses, chatting with friends etc, and a mail system. For more, hover over the RZ Community button on the menu. You can also comment on news stories (non members can post but must enter valid email into comment area, or login using Facebook or Twitter accounts) and upload to one of a number of public upload galleries plus comment and vote on them. Please read House Rules.

Quick Links: Your Profile | Your Messages  |  Members List  | House Rules |

Topic Subject
Topic Text
Move Category:
Any Characters from Rob's films that you didn't Like?
Started by Captain Spauldin Moon 2 years ago

Were there any characters in Rob's films you did not like? If so, what did you not like about them?

I thought Mary Knowles was a bitch..I hated her as much as Baby did.

The Professor Tyrannosaurus Rex replied 2 years ago...

I didn't liked Lew Temple's charakter in Halloween, but I think that charakter was intended to be hated.

From Germany, but I have nothing to do with the SS-Werewolfs!

Chicken Fucker Clevon M Tragedy666 replied 2 years ago...

Captain Spaulding, Otis, and Michael Myers were all pretty sucky characters that would have made for a better film if they werent in them.  LOL  not really.  There are really no characters off the top of my head that weren't entertaining or didn't do their part well.   Of course we all like some characters better than others, and some may have been forgetable, but that is no ones fault.  It's because their role didn't really call for a major part.  And usually the tiny little part that they did have they ended up nailing so well that they almost become highlights or memorable just because of how outrageous they are and how great of a script writer Rob is.  He has a great talent for making every little role count.

Otis B. Driftwood Lola666Zombie replied 2 years ago...

what kinda question is that?? O_O

i am a RobZombie worshiper/follower .. i think he's a genius and everything he does/creates is 1,000% BRILLIANT .. therefore... there ain't such thing as "non-likeable" RobZombie characters!

don'tcha think? :>~

Captain Spauldin Moon replied 2 years ago...

Actually, just trying to get some conversations started.

Sheriff Wydell Emma Firefly replied 2 years ago...

@lola666Zombie I think the topic is fine.  There's nothing malicious in it, and as long as it is to promote constructive criticism only (which I'm sure, knowing @Moon's past conduct on this board as a good community member) then it can stay.  

Clients: Rob Zombie, John 5, Piggy D see my work: http://www.facebook.com/1976designs

Otis B. Driftwood Lola666Zombie replied 2 years ago...

i was just joking around, @Emma and @Moon ... if i went over the top with my post, i am very sorry, please accept my apologies. i am the kinda broad who likes getting along with everyrone, but my extreme sense of humor somtimes hmmmmmm.. not everyone likes it, and since i am new here, i will try to keep it nice and easy.

i am sorry, and again, please accept my apologies!

it's all good!

Sheriff Wydell Emma Firefly replied 2 years ago...

Wink  Thanks for understanding 

Clients: Rob Zombie, John 5, Piggy D see my work: http://www.facebook.com/1976designs

Actually, I think we can all agree that Mary was a bit of a bitch.  LOL  even Rob said it in the commentary for 1000 Corpses.  She just had major attitude problems.  We were just fine with dying.

Honestly though, maybe Grampa Hugo.  Maybe he could have been better?  It's hard to imagine the film any other way though.

The first thing I said above about "Mary" is actually kind of interesting.  It just gave me a little reminder of an artistic choice Rob often uses that I tend to love in films.  And it's taking the "good" characters and making them bad.  And portraying the villians in a way that is very likable.  Some of my favorite movies do this.  Taxi Driver, Clockwork Orange, Freaks, and Natural Born Killers are all great examples of this role reversal.  I could sit and discuss those films all day, so if anyone hasn't seen them and would like examples, feel free to ask!  lol. 

But I guess that comment I made is relevant in the sense that.. you should question why you like or dislike a character.  What is it about them exactly that you don't like? And what makes them worth liking?  I love when a film flips morality upside down or other things that we make take for granted.  When these things are done, it might have a point, but I don't think it really matters either way.  Just by doing it you are challenging your audience in various ways, and most great artists do just that.

If it's just a bad actor/actress, thats a whole different thing.  But if we're talking characters purely, it can lead to some intriguing realizations about yourself.  Do you identify with the characters (for example).

So, in other words, me subconsciously saying "Mary was a bitch and deserved to die" is pretty fucked up and twisted.  lol.  Okay...I've been up waaaay too long.  G'night zombieheads.  I'm sure I'll be back tomorrow to see what foolish over-thinking analysis I came up with.

I sort of thought Mother Firefly over acted a bit during her speech in the police cell when she was spinning in the chair saying things like  "go get em' sherrif!  I'll see you...in fucken heellll!!"   I realize that was the point though...to show her being crazy and it probably needed to be overly done...but that part always felt a little unnatural to me.   It's such a minor detail though, It's really worth mentioning. 

Captain Spauldin Moon replied 2 years ago...

Thanks M Tradgedy, that was the kind of response I was hoping for.  Anyway, a big part of the reason why I didn't like Mary was the comment she made about being "a little too old" to enjoy Halloween. Kind of reminded me of every other bitch I have met who had an issue with the fact I am a horror fan, or who seemed to think a lot of the things I am interested in are childish.

Baby Firefly euphorious replied 2 years ago...

too old to enjoy Halloween? ahha WOW i cant stand ppl who try to put themselves above you because of the things you like to do or interested in. 
 Espaecially BITCHES!!

Moon, I get what you mean now!  I guess it might be kind of confusing or hard to figure out the difference between disliking a character in the movie as opposed to taking the very essence of that character and putting them sort of in a real life scenereo and if you would or would not like them in real life.

Like for example, I don't dislike ANY characters in any of Rob's film, because I understand that all of their roles/personalities were crafted to tell the kind of story Rob wanted to tell and they are all sort of essential different personality types for the story and all that.  ...So, I can't really say any of them were un-enjoyable in the setting of the film

But yeah, Mary's character totally had attitude problems.  I couldn't be her friend in real life.  

Then again, with that mindset, MOST of these characters would be unlikable outside of the film context. 

I guess I can make a few more observations now that I am viewing it in a more realistic setting.  (again, you have to have likable and unlikable people in a movie, and knowing that was their job, it's hard to truly say you didn't like them...you werent supposed to, so they did a great job!)

But I guess I didn't like Adam Banjo.  Seemed kind of mean, pseudo-tough guy type.  Again, Rob commented on that as well in the commentary.  He was trying to act all badass the whole movie, and them BAM.  He was the only one to throw up once the murder began.  And, it was funny to see him laying his head in Wendy, his wife's lap, crying etc...  She was naked and very startled too, but she was the more calm, focused, and assertive of the two.  She even held herself together long enough to escape to the bathroom and eventually out the window, so you have to give her props.  He husband was far less remarkable.

Now, without sounding too fucked up, I've actually known some people with the personality types of some of the family.  Not serial killers, lol, but I had a girlfriend was with a really kickass family.  They were just fun people to be around.  Her grandma and her bf kind of had a Captain Spaulding like personality.  Crude sense of humor, fun, and wanting to party.

I really like Spaulding as a character, and aside from being murdered, I think I could really get along with him.  

Charlie too.  I think at heart, Charlie was a really nice guy.   Think about it;  He was a business man.  A connoisseur pioneering the prostitution business.  "Try to find a new angle and you might attract a higher clientele".  Granted what he was doing was illegal, but if he were in Vegas, he would have been fine.  And so he did a little coke and weed.  A lot of people have.  Now, he sold out the family which was a real dick move (even though, hey, maybe they deserved it in reality?), but he actually felt bad.  He tried at the end to come back and rescue them.  He knew what he did was fucked up.  I don't really think he meant any harm.  And it's clear he knew what was going on with the family...that they were killers and all that.  And I get the vibe that Charlie most definitely killed a few people in the past, but maybe he didn't enjoy it.  Maybe it was more because he had to.  So, he didn't even want them to come to his hideout.  Spaulding kind of insisted and forced it upon him.  He actually said no initially.  Maybe he broke away from the family years ago because he didn't want that kind of lifestyle?

Anyway, it's all fun to think about and fantasize.

I LOVED that crazy movie critic guy. lol.  He'd be fun to watch old flicks with.  

You are not permitted to reply on this forum. Login...

css.php