follow Rob Zombie online  Instagram-button  Facebook-button   twitter-button  Youtube-Button  Tumblr-button

Rob Zombie answers fans questions about his voice following RockFest

Rob Zombie voice

Following Rob Zombie’s sudden withdrawal from the stage, after two songs, at RockFest this saturday, it is understandable fans were upset at missing a full show from the band – something Rob is as much saddened by, having played through thick and thin for the past 29 years.  However as the following statement from Rob says, this was not something he did lightly and he hopes these words may go some way to state why he had to stop the show early.

From Rob Zombie:

I am very sorry to everyone who was at RockFest. Believe it or not this is the first time in 29 years I have not been able to finish a show. I have played through many many nights with a fucked voice. I knew it backstage but came out and tried anyway, but failed. I understand people are pissed, but what can you do? It is easy to say “man up and just do it” but when no sound is coming out there is nothing you can do. If you have ever lost your voice before, then you know it doesn’t magically return just because you want it to. If there was a way to do the show I would have done it, as I have many, many times before. Fuck, I done shows where I walked to the side of the stage between songs to vomit I was so sick. Whatever. I’m not looking for sympathy and I don’t expect anyone care but these are the facts.

As far as everyone yelling “I’ve been a fan for 20 years and now I fucking hate you! you pussy rockstar!” What can I say fucking shitty stuff happens sometimes. I tried explaining it into the mic before I left the stage but I could barely croak out a word. Do you think their was any upside to that show for me? Nope, it’s all a big fucking mess that I wish never happened. We are trying to figure out a time and place to make it up to everybody.

I don’t take the fans for granted and I don’t take this situation lightly. My goal is to never let the fans down, but on that night I did. Unfortunately I had no choice.

1. Mike Neal

Rob fucking rocks, bottpm line

July 29, 2014 at 1:10 am

3. Rick

It was my first time seeing you and I completely understand. Most of the people talking shit called into there job the next morning. Fuck them get better.

July 28, 2014 at 8:44 pm

5. Alyssa

I’m happy you came out. It says a lot when an artist gives his all to the last bit of ypur effort. I’m thankful I got to see you play at all. Thank you for trying :) it should mean a lot to any true fan. Get better soon, and rock on!

July 26, 2014 at 12:39 am

7. Carrie70

I was at Rock Fest in the pit and the only way to express the feeling when you left was to compare it to a kid on Christmas morning that opened one present and then had the rest suddenly ripped away. I sincerely hope you are feeling better and that your voice will be back to normal soon. I grew up only a few hours from you on the East Coast and have been a loyal follower of you, your music, and movies since the beginning. I see that you will be around the midwest again in September…………is it possible to stop in and give us our “Christmas morning” ??? You are an amazing performer and I was hypnotized at your first show at Rock Fest a few years ago. I know you dont “owe” us anything but, comming back and doing a make-up show for us would absolutely fucking awsome!!! I know it would restore the faith that ppl had/have in you. Crossing my fingers that you take this into consideration!!!….Rock on..love you Rob!!!!! <3

July 25, 2014 at 8:20 pm

9. JD

Band could of still played and fans sung, or showed some clips, one of your movies, something. In the business world we have to have contingencies!

July 25, 2014 at 2:43 pm

11. Heather

Rob it sucks that you feel like you have to make it up for everyone…don’t know what your plan is..but know this…you don’t owe us anything. And if your way of making it up is reimbursing..don’t..we won’t except. Not that we wouldn’t appreciate the gesture. Just know we are human just like you and we get sick too and understand…My son will always be a die hard fan of yours!!!Love you!!! Rock On Rob!

July 25, 2014 at 9:29 am

13. Heather

I am sorry for blowing up the page but I love Rob Zombie,,and also in his defense have to say a few more things. I have read the comments about the people who have said they traveled so far..spent gas money..bought pit passes..and paid for a whole day at the fest just to see Rob..Now…Look up the facts. Look up his tour…dates..times..tickets. These people have said I traveled 8 hrs (whatever hrs) I paid to camp…paid gas…paid pit pass..Look at Robs tour places …dates… and ticket prices…many general admission and still available…some are even closer to these people who complain..Yet they say he owes them all of this. Well if you buy a general admission ticket to a concert …you can make your way to the stage…And if you look this up …you are paying far less to see him then a rock festival where there are a bunch of bands playing. You poor pathetic fans giving him a hard time …judge not… you paid to see more then just him..you said it yourselves in your (where I am from..how long I traveled). You contradicted yourselves..and yes I assume you all hate me for saying what I said in his defense about work. Why because word is he was paid…he should have gotten paid…he performed. I don’t think he ever intended to screw anyone…Sad this is I heard him on an anti-bullying commercial…and omg you all ripping on him..are just that..Bullies

July 25, 2014 at 9:02 am

15. Heather

My post was in reference to those here and on the rockfest page saying Rob owes you money

July 25, 2014 at 7:47 am

17. Heather

I have to clarify..when I said as a woman putting on makeup I was referring to myself as a woman and it taking a long time to make yourself up….He was totally dedicated to his performance..it must have taken hours to put on his makeup. And yes I can understand the frustration of the fans but hello, this guy is only human..he gets sick too.. For those asking for $ from him or a replacement…Look at it this way. If you were say a telemarketer and you called people for a living..You got up one morning…put on your makeup..were feeling sick…yet did your best to talk on the phone. Then at work you realized you had made a mistake and told your boss you had to leave, due to feeling ill. How would you feel if your boss said hey without you here we would have made a profit and you owe us for every hour you were not at work. Its the same damn thing. He doesn’t owe you Sh*t. He could have just not performed at all. Get over it!

July 25, 2014 at 7:41 am

19. Terri

So where’s the refund that you promised on your site when you walked off! Some spent an extra day and camping to see you!

July 25, 2014 at 7:02 am

21. skinner

I was at rock fest I was so looking forward to seeing you for the first time as my birthday present. I will always be a fan of yours I hope you are doing well and healing fast so you can kick some more ass on stage

July 25, 2014 at 3:56 am

23. Dee

Rob u r one of the greatest performers ever ,sucks u couldn’t finish the show hope u heal fast looking forward to some Halloween shows in northeast PA

July 25, 2014 at 2:29 am

25. Heather

I also have to say…that he put on his makeup…my god.. as a woman putting on makeup…he took time…He was trying to give his all…Look at his fan photos and then his stage photos..If he wanted to screw us …he would never have spent so much time putting on the stage presence…This Man has given an amazing performance…Rob..We Love You!!

July 24, 2014 at 8:51 am

27. Heather

We love you Rob!!! Sucks that your voice went out… We hope you get well soon!!! We will be standing tall by your side!!! Rock On!!! We Love You!!!

July 24, 2014 at 8:44 am

29. raginrus

I just wanted to start off by saying that hope you are healing well and a speedy recovery. This is Rusty, the rocker at the meet n greet that “finally someone with enthusiasm” hand shake, been listening to your music ever since thunderkiss came out and first concert was in ’93 in Omaha. It was an honor to finally meet you in Cadott at Rock Fest 2014 and this was my first time seeing you at an outside concert. I understand that you couldn’t continue to sing that night but wish you could’ve. Talking with other fans, we kind of suggested that if you/or other band members would’ve suggested that you continued to perform but lip-sync or maybe band played while the words rolled up on the screen while the fans sang like karaoke. Not sure how you really feel about that but would’ve been some options. We love the way that you perform on stage and was so stoked to have met you and also was near the front of the pit and down the center stage. Another option that would’ve been great was maybe some autographs or something. Just wanted to send a little message and stage that we love your music/movies and true fans understand that you are human too. Get well and see you next time.

July 24, 2014 at 4:39 am

31. Thomas Link

No need to apologize, Rob, we are not fair weather fans….
    We are from Wisconsin, Minnesota, etc…where inclement
    Weather is the standard…..and are not easily Swayed…
    We love what you do and will continue to pay our hard earned
    Money to visit your world….even if only for a few minutes…
    we wish you a speedy recovery and look forward to
    seeing You at Rockfest again down the road…cheesehead

July 24, 2014 at 12:04 am

33. Nicole

Come to Northwoods Rock Rally in Glen Flora, With in August

July 23, 2014 at 10:59 pm

35. terry

well that’s too bad and rob I am sure wanted to finish the show. But net say’s his net worth is around 40 million so he doesn’t have to tour or work period so why do it rob??

July 23, 2014 at 10:58 pm

37. Missie

I’m a new fan and loved the performance we did get to see. I agree with the others, it wasn’t you, it was how the Rock Fest people let us sit there forever with only a “please stand by”. We knew you weren’t coming back. While disappointed, we totally understood and appreciated you trying. Looking forward to your hopeful appearance at Rock Fest in the future!

July 23, 2014 at 6:53 pm

39. brtail

I was disappointed because I had been looking forward to seeing you perform again. I am pissed at the way Rockfest handled the situation. I was impressed by your performance 3 years ago at Rockfest and had looked forward to seeing you perform while I was up front in VIP this time.

July 23, 2014 at 6:46 pm

41. Denny Kaska

Rob Zombie made his 1st appearance at Rock Fest several years ago & put on 1 of the most mesmerizing shows I’ve ever seen. Though a repeat performance was anticipated, as quoted by Mr. Zombie himself, “shit fuckin’ happens”. Did Rob want to put on a quality show in it’s entirety at the Fest? Absolutely. Was he sick? Extremely. Could he have been pumped full of prescription drugs to get through the show? Our selfish wishes may have wanted that, however Rob is no spring chicken & something of that sort may have had lethal consequences to satisfy our desires of the moment. His spoken & written apology was sincere & hopefully he will be given the time off as needed to get well so that he may return to Cadott in the future & put on that spectacular show he would have preferred to provide us. Though it was confirmed that Rob would not be coming back out on stage by 11:11pm the Fest held off the announcement for well over an hour for reasons I am unsure of. However the Fest security was anticipating a riot that I am so glad had been averted which in itself demonstrates the overall maturity of our friends of the Fest. Rob has once again demonstrated his professional etiquette through his apology & his desire to provide us another day when the time is right & we thank you. Overall Rock Fest was a huge success. Just ask Aerosmith, they were screaming out the bus windows all the way back to the airport: “Rock Fest Rules!!!” Looking forward to RF~2015 & your healthy return to Cadott Rob… Denny K.

July 23, 2014 at 6:17 pm

43. Nicole

You were my first concert 11 years ago, I was 16. You put on a rocking show then. I was also at Rock Fest and was so pumped to see you again after so many years. I thought you were great even with your voice problem.!!! I understand now why you left but yes it really shouldn’t have taken them that long to tell us or gave us hope. BUT I really hope you make it back to Wisconsin so I can enjoy your show once again!!!

July 23, 2014 at 2:02 pm

45. at Rob Zombie, John 5, Piggy D. and Ginger Fish

You do not have to apologize sir Rob!!

You do this job since 29years and not once you missed the scene.

These are the “fans” who booed, booed should introduce yourself excuses.

As people who love the artist that you are, I’m worried about how you are going.

Rob rests you, enjoy your family, those who love you.

And come back to us in good shape.

Here in Belgium I hope to see you again and just have the honor to shake your hand.
    I luv u guys! Take care of you!
    kisses and huge hug from Belgium! by me.

July 23, 2014 at 10:32 am

47. Lauran

Glad I saw you at the fuel arena people should stop bitching he’s an amazing artist and he will rest and be back at it again unlike some people who get sick and stay out of work for weeks. Rob zombie is a amazing!!! Get better soon :))

July 23, 2014 at 5:50 am

49. jennylmccool

We will see you in Portland, Oregon on the Sept 8th. As bull shit as it may sound, hot tea really helps…. ♡

July 23, 2014 at 4:46 am

51. jennylmccool

Fuck anyone who doesn’t understand and quick to judge. History should show there was a reason. Get well!

July 23, 2014 at 4:39 am

53. Ben

Rob, I appreciate your effort, i am ashamed in what i said after you left the stage. I thought you were coping an attitude. I am sincerely sorry. I hope all goes well with recovery. Thanks for trying man.

July 23, 2014 at 3:38 am

55. Greg treharne

Was at Rock-fest… was bummed, but…. you tried… we could hear it in your voice… you even tried to get a drink mid song to clear it up… Get better!… (and yes, security stated within 15 minutes that you were probably not able to come back out. If only they (Rock-Fest) would have just announced it over the jumbotron screen rather than leading the crowd in thinking otherwise.)

July 23, 2014 at 3:05 am

57. Baily Gravunder

I was at that concert front row. I was so disappointed at the time but now that I know, I’m more pissed at rockfest for taking so long to tell us. I hope you get better soon and when you do please come back to WI so I can see you again!

July 23, 2014 at 1:28 am

59. R

I have been to a concert where he was losing his voice and he just kept going to the very end. I know if he could have he would have kept going… Zombie fan for life

July 23, 2014 at 1:15 am

61. Sadie Raye

I knew something was up when u were only doing the “hell yeah”s in SuperBeast. Rest up your cords!!! Hot Tea, numb spray, soup, and good lovin’ from your wife, would be my prescription! Look forward to seeing you when you feel better! some of this discussion about this has really pissed me off. this was my first chance to see you, i’m 30 and have loved your music since i was 11! i paid 400 for my ticket, BFD! shit happens! but for someone to bitch about the price? dude u got 4 days of concerts! with great seats, free beer, wine soda, and lunch and dinner everyday!! stop ur crying and go home! plus after him another guy said real fans of zombie cant afford VIP fuck that, dont hate caz some people make good money, you dont have to be broke to be a “real fan” I mean i got no prob givin’ hugs, high fives, or tit flashes to anyone at Rock Fest!! Sorry for the ramble, some people’s kid’s i tell ya!
    Sadie Raye

July 23, 2014 at 1:12 am

63. Brandon

Not your fault! Get better Zombie!! Rock Fest staff should have come out and told us exactly what was going on and that the show would not be able to go on. I think a lot of people thought you were joking around. Can’t wait to see you when you come around the WI area again!

July 22, 2014 at 11:05 pm

65. W4RCHiLD67

We love ya bro get some much deserved/needed rest, hope to see you and the band soon!

July 22, 2014 at 10:18 pm

67. David

29 years and 1000+ shows, it had to happen eventually even to the God of the ironheads. Rock on Rob, you are the beast of the business…. and anyone who can’t respect or know you will make it up can eat a box of dicks.

July 22, 2014 at 9:44 pm

69. jenniferlarson4

I was at rockfest and you could hear in his voice that something was right. I will always be a fan and hope your troat gets better. People were pissed but what do they expect him to do. I would rather him cancel than hear a half ass show.

July 22, 2014 at 9:22 pm

71. Jason

That really sucks about your voice Rob! I’m a fan and I respect every and any action you make. You are scheduled to come to Oregon in September, hope to see you then. Take care and get well soon!

July 22, 2014 at 8:50 pm

73. David Walters

Rob, my friend…you are one of those people who believe in doing the right thing. You are truly the greatest artist of all time. The idea that you don’t want to disappoint the fans says that you actually care. Of all people you don’t ever have to apologize for anything. You have been such a huge part of my life; thank you for all you have done for me. I hope you get well soon.

July 22, 2014 at 7:54 pm

75. Kris

Yes it sucked for those there and I am glad we didn’t make the trek up there but to say you hate him after busting his ass for 20+ years well then good riddance! Rob and his other fans don’t want you there taking up our space! Rob is a pro and if he thought he was going to give a shitty performance and didn’t want that for his fans, well the man did what he thought was best…for him, his band, and most of all the fans to et what the paid for!!! Get over it as I am sure he will be back at some point and right this unfortunate night for all of you!

July 22, 2014 at 7:32 pm