Rob Zombie Updates on Broad Street Bullies

Rob Zombie

Rob Zombie is a very busy man.  He has a new album – Venomous Rat Regeneration Vendor (April 23) – and new movie – The Lords of Salem (April 19) – coming out this April.  In addition he and his band are getting ready to go out on tour over the summer with visits across the US, Canada and South America.  On top of that Rob is already working on a new movie – this time chronicling the story of the notorious Broad Street Bullies hockey team.  ComingSoon.net spoke with Rob to get an update on where he is with that movie.  To see what Rob has to say

Last summer, it was revealed that musician-turned-filmmaker Rob Zombie was interested in tackling his first non-horror project with Broad Street Bullies, based on the true story of the 1970′s Philadelphia Flyers.

“That [script] is finished,” Zombie tells ComingsSoon.net. “I just finished it. That was an epic battle because that was the first time I had to really research something. There’s no fiction in it, it’s all true. It was a year of research, my God, I read every f–king book and, obviously, the game ends with game 6 against the Bruins when they win the cup. I must have watched game 6 a thousand f–king times until I had it memorized. It’s a pretty epic script. I was just in Philadelphia a couple of weeks ago and all of those guys still go to every game. I was sitting in the box with Joe Watson and Bernie Parent. The Broadstreet Bullies still reign there. I got to get that movie right or they’ll take me out and hang me.”

Although is not yet set up at a studio, Zombie suggests that fans won’t have a very long wait before it finds a home.

“We had so many offers for it but we haven’t taken one yet,” he continues. “It’s funny because everybody was like ‘Oh, a hockey movie, nobody’s going to want it.’ But as soon as we announced it, everyone came out of the woodwork. Everybody wanted to get involved. Nothing against horror movies and I don’t mean this to sound any way, but no agent wants to put their client in a horror movie, nobody would take them seriously. But suddenly, with this type of movie, everyone is coming forward, which I wasn’t prepared for.”

Zombie’s latest, The Lords of Salem, hits theaters April 19.

1. Garrett Gustafson

I play hockey, and am a dedicated flyers fan, I just about shit when I heard of this. I saw those guys play some college shmucks at the University of Delaware about fifteen years ago and bobby still high sticked the shit outta one player twice in a row. They murdered those kids. I want in on this movie, if I can fit in somewhere. Where is the casting call, and when?? Please let me know, Rob. I’m fucking homeless and need to do something, goddammit.

May 24, 2013 at 3:21 pm

3. Joe Watson ( not the one from the bullies )

Would absolutely love to be a cast member of your film Broad Street Bullies. Been a huge fan of your work and would just like the opportunity. Been a die hard for the orange and black since 1980. PLEASE KEEP IN TOUCH

May 16, 2013 at 8:03 pm

5. Ricky golden

Sounds amazing. I’d be interested to know when and where casting players will take place.

April 15, 2013 at 2:04 pm

7. Riley K

Honestly with this kind of film it’s best to do what they did for Miracle, find Hockey Players who can act rather than the other way around. Is there any place where the crew recruitment information is going to be posted? I’m an experienced film crew member and would love, love, love to work on this project! Combining my two favorite things together and right in my area!

April 8, 2013 at 6:37 pm

• Garrett Gustafson

Absogoddamnlutely. If they put any knowns in it, it will FUCKING SUCK.

May 24, 2013 at 3:22 pm

9. MONSTERSTEIN

I think this is a great move for Mr. Zombie to do something different. It is always good to try different projects, and try them well. I do believe that this movie will be a great film. I am hoping he will continue to do different genres of film. I am looking forward to seeing his current film “THE LORDS OF SALEM”.

April 5, 2013 at 4:23 am

11. Rob, Its me again. I actually forgot to mention I have on screen experience. I developed shot and hosted this show, Halftime, for my college. I hope this help displays my on screen presence, hockey abilities and writing skills. I’m right here in Philly and most likely in walking distance to any part of the city you may shoot in. I would be honored to represent Philly in your new film.

Remember just like Hollywood this was all staged.

April 4, 2013 at 9:06 pm

13. Benoit Cousineau

Hey Rob, i am willing to travel from Montreal Canada to where you are in order to audition for the Broad Street Bullies movie.

April 4, 2013 at 5:38 am

15. Hey Rob, you looking for any extra hockey players in the Philadelphia region to come fill roster spots. I’m 24 been playing hockey since I have was 5 all the way through collage. I also work in the video production world with my own company Malix Media. I Would love a shot to be in your movie. I definitely have the time and ability to play at a high level consistently. I love being a physical presence on the ice and would even be willing to be the guy who gets his ass kicked or crushed along the boards. If you have try outs let me know. I wont fail to impress.

April 4, 2013 at 1:20 am

17. Always welcome to shoot here at The Light House Inc. in New Jersey Rob! First class studio and huge Zombie/Flyers Fans!

April 3, 2013 at 6:35 pm

19. hey, Rob. Who is the casting director that will be handling casting. I’m an actor and Flyers fan and would LOVE to have a shot at auditioning.

April 3, 2013 at 4:03 pm

21. Michelle

I am a hockey fan and definitely looking forward to seeing this film!! Love all of your work Rob and can’t wait to see the The Lords of Salem. Reading the book right now and love the detailed descriptions. Keep on rocking RZ!!!!

April 3, 2013 at 2:25 pm

23. livingdeadgirlnicole1031

And this is why Rob is so inspiring. to me. He never stops and goes after what he wants!

April 3, 2013 at 2:22 pm

25. silvo

Mr. Zombie,
    Could you please show the script to the entire existing Flyer Team? Please explain to them that the “Bully” hockey is how you win cups and not playing like sheep?

Thanks,
    Flyers Fan.

April 3, 2013 at 12:48 pm

• Nelson

“bully” hockey is no longer possible… you would know this if you actually watched hockey

April 3, 2013 at 7:42 pm

27. yellow bird

Gonna be a trip to see who he finds as actors…????

We all know- RZ has his own blueprints of who to go to as actors ,
    but
    As he stated himself…he is gonna have to find actors who can skate.

Haha
    can bill Moseley skate????

April 3, 2013 at 12:43 pm