Zombie visits the Flyers as he details more about his Broad Street Bullies movie

ob "Hound Dog" Kelly, RZ, Bernie Parent and Gary Dornhoefer

Rob Zombie visited the Flyers last night to watch a game and catch up with some of the notorious ‘Broad Street Bullies‘ who will be the subject of his forthcoming movie about the brutal ’70’s hockey team.

While watching the game, Rob spoke to Philly.com and NHL about the project, where he is with the script, what attracted him to the film and more. To read and watch the interviews

From NHL VideoCenter: (video is a flash file, to download Flash: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/)

From Philly.com: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/20130206_Flyers_Notes___Director_Rob_Zombie_talks_about_Broad_Street_Bullies_movie.html

Flyers Notes: Director Rob Zombie talks about Broad Street Bullies movie

Sam Carchidi, Inquirer Staff Writer

Flanked by former Flyers Bernie Parent, Gary Dornhoefer, and Bob Kelly, Hollywood movie director and rock musician Rob Zombie talked Tuesday night about the motion picture he is creating about the Broad Street Bullies.

Parent suggested that Danny DeVito could play the role of Kelly.

Dornhoefer interceded.

“Moses can play you,” Dornhoefer told Parent, who looked distinguished in his white hair and matching goatee.

Zombie said the project is in its early stages, and he attended Tuesday’s game against Tampa Bay to visit with some of the Broad Street Bullies – the brawling teams that won Stanley Cups in 1974 and 1975 – and to observe the fans.

“It’s the greatest sports story ever not told. It’s been told other ways, but not film,” Zombie said. “I had to do it. It reads like fiction. It’s so incredible.”

He added: “We’re just wrapping up the script right now, looking to start shooting in the fall. This is sort of a fact-finding mission. This is where I try to get everyone to tell me stories they don’t want to tell.”

Zombie, who grew up near Boston, recalled the 1974 Cup finals against the Bruins. “I remember it well,” he said.

Parent added his two cents. “By the way,” he said, “who won?”

Zombie plans to shoot most of the movie in Philadelphia.

“It’s almost like Rocky, but it’s real,” he said. “When you watch Rocky,you go, ‘God, I wish that was real.’ It’s sort of like Boogie Nights meetsRocky. I know from the five-minute conversation [with the ex-Flyers] there’s a lot of good stuff besides hockey going on.

“It’s a character-driven movie,” he added. “There’s such great characters. To just make a movie about hockey, hockey fans will love it, but nobody else will. The characters are so great that – not to keep going back toRocky – even if you hate boxing, you love the movie because the characters are so great. This has incredible characters, except they’re real.”

1. Kim Kashnoski

Rob Zombie, I need to be an extra in this film. I am a philly native, am obsessed with philadelphia sports, in fact i was a dancer for the philadelphia soul. Im also infatuated with you and your wife.

March 21, 2013 at 10:00 pm

3. chris

not sure if this is the way to go about it but,would luve a try out for the BSB’s movie

February 10, 2013 at 11:29 pm

5. cindy

I dont know, would be kick ass to be in one of his films tho…

February 8, 2013 at 8:07 pm

7. John Watson

Has anybody ever had a real reply answering questions on how to audition for a movie?

February 8, 2013 at 2:34 pm

• I’m sure more details will be released when Rob is ready

February 8, 2013 at 5:05 pm

9. dbune

I play, I fight, I win.
    To Whom it bothers,
    Rob in the above interview when asked about casting, He had mentioned the need for players/70’s/actors. How do I get in touch with casting?

February 8, 2013 at 2:21 pm

11. Moon

Wow..I can’t believe I am actually interested in a sports related movie..Rob is that good of a director. I would watch anything he makes.

February 8, 2013 at 10:13 am

13. jeff ditzler

YO ROB! I was at the game the other night when they played the lightning. you could not have picked a better game to go to. this is what flyers hockey is all about. the history before this game is true,In such a short season ,will not be tolerated! if you want to mess with us you will be dealt with. aka Zac Rinaldo. Totally intrigued by you doing a film on us, I wish you the best of luck.GO FLYERS!

February 8, 2013 at 1:44 am

15. Joey

Rob, I’d love to hear about any extras needed for the new Broad Street Bullies film… Couldn’t be happier about the news! I know this will be an instant classic! Just looking for a shot at something here… Hopefully you take a look at this!

February 7, 2013 at 7:04 pm

17. Jon

I know a bunch of people who would love to be extras. I know you’re probably not paying attention to this, but any info you could post would be awesome.

February 7, 2013 at 6:47 pm

19. Rawhead Rex

Yeah! Me too! My nose bleeds at the slightest threat of violence. As if…on cue. My lips start to swell, a little, and one ear gets bigger than the other, too!
    This movie sounds like it could be awesome. I love the Flyers and we know Zombie rocks. What a perfect combo.

February 7, 2013 at 2:49 pm

21. Jake Slimm

How can I audition for a role in the film. I play college hockey in the Philadelphia region.

February 7, 2013 at 2:25 am

23. How can I get a role as an extra on the Flyers movie? I’m a good skater.

February 7, 2013 at 12:35 am

25. Timothy V

Where can I apply for a P.A. position?

February 6, 2013 at 6:29 pm

27. John Watson

When, where, and who will be doing the casting for the Flyers movie? Will you hire local talent to play major roles in this movie?

February 6, 2013 at 5:47 pm