follow Rob Zombie online  Instagram-button  Facebook-button   twitter-button  Youtube-Button  Tumblr-button

Rob Zombie gives a resounding no to Halloween 3

In a forthcoming interview with SciFiNow, Rob Zombie touched upon the Halloween movies he has directed, including defending his making of Halloween 2 and also made it very clear that he would be no part of any future Halloween films (something he made clear to fans in a ‘Question of the Week‘ last year here at robzombie.com).

Speaking exclusively to SciFiNow for a future issue, House Of 1,000 Corpses and The Devils Rejectsdirector Rob Zombie offered an update on the long mooted third film in his Halloween reboot series.

“I don’t think they are doing anything with Halloween at the moment,” said Zombie. “That is the last thing that I heard – and I’m definitely not directing it if they ever do go ahead with a third movie.”

Perhaps motivated by the drubbing he received for 2009′s Halloween 2, Zombie remains defensive of the often criticised sequel.

“I love that movie,” says Zombie. “I think it is a great movie. But I wish it had a different title. If it was called something else then people might have watched it and accepted it for what it was. Instead, because it was called Halloween 2, people were saying ‘How can you do this when it is supposed to be that?’ Although as time has gone by some fans have told me that they like it, and that it is one of their favourites from the franchise.

“I think because it was a Halloween sequel people had a preconceived idea of what it was supposed to be.”

1. Stacey

I think rob zombie did an amazing job on the Halloween movies! I’m very disappointed to hear that he won’t be remaking H3. I agree H3 had nothing to do with Michael Myers so if rob zombie had remade H3 he could have turned it into an fantastic horror flick. I really hope he will change his mind

October 18, 2015 at 4:08 am

3. Candace Lee

I loved both the remake of Rob zombie’s version of Halloween. Its definitely a movie I’ll watch again and again, just like Rob zombie’s other movies, their very creative and even if he did come out with a Halloween 3 I would definitely go see that too. Bummer he’s not making it though.

August 30, 2015 at 11:08 pm

5. Justin Grose

Halloween 2 was a masterpiece in my opinion. It is very psychological, especially that part when Annie is found dead and her Father (Sheriff Brackett) has visions of her as a child holding her pet dog. You can tell that’s actually Danielle Harris as a kid too

November 8, 2014 at 8:22 am

7. cole p

loved both his movies, very good indeed. people just like the bandwagon of “the originals are better” they are all pretty good except resurrection ugh

March 20, 2013 at 1:27 am

9. Halie Coggins

When I heard that you were doing the Halloween movies, I jumped up and ran to the store as soon as they were released. I was excited about the new take on the classic horror. I was raised in Southern California when blood and gore movies like Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm street were just being created and later watched so I was no stranger to horror films.
    However, my now 16 year old son was really becoming interested in the cult classics. So when I brought home your films, he was skeptical at first. After the first few minutes, he was hooked and so was I. We saw a whole different side to Michael than the silent, stalking, serial killer that never spoke a word behind that mask. You took him from just the killer of babysitters, who was also after his sister to something darker and more sinister. He was, in your films, more of a force to be reckoned with than the previous Michael persona. You also gave us a taste of what Michael was like before he turned into the dark, serial killer. That’s what drove us to watch more.
    I’m sad that you won’t be doing a 3rd installment because my son and I are dying to know what happens to Lori Strode. I’m looking forward to The Lords of Salem and I’m sure my son will love it.

January 31, 2013 at 10:57 am

11. Tim

To the abyss of what people think. Halloween 2 by zombie is in my opinion a very great movie. He had given it somewhat of a modern twist and originality to it, and also the point we care most about is being scared of Halloween, Micheal, and the mask all over again. To you Rob Zombie, and everyone who partaken in the film thanks for a wonderful work of art!!!

January 26, 2013 at 11:21 am

13. Joe

Zombie and Sheri have always straddled the fence while knocking it down.

January 26, 2013 at 8:46 am

15. Tom

Been a big fan of the original first two films. I went to see the remake, since I really liked house of a thousand corpses and devils rejects. The remakes lack any sense of build up, suspense and atmosphere the originals had. When you give too much information regarding the origin it removes any sense of not knowing and fear. Doing the Halloween films as gory exploitation style movies was a big step in the wrong direction. It was too far removed from the style of the original for a lot of older fans like myself.

January 26, 2013 at 4:55 am

17. keith byam

all i got to say is rob zombie is a fucking genius thats enuf said !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 26, 2013 at 2:27 am

19. jason cronk

I do not understand why people did not like your version of “Halloween 2”. i thought both of the movies were awesome! I never really gave your music a chance when i was growing up but when you started making these amazing movies I absolutely fell in love with your work. I do not understand why people make remakes that are “word for word”. What is the point of that? the renditions that you conjured up were inventive and an awesome change from the originals. I believe John carpenter gave his blessings on the shows and that would be all that I would care about if it were I making these shows. Keep up the amazing work. I have been waiting, for what seems like forever, for The Lords of Salem to come out and I have a feeling that I will not be let down. Cheers

January 26, 2013 at 1:08 am

21. it trip me out when trip upon zombies halloweens movies ,what a treat man .i didnt watch them when they first came out because i thought oh not anoyher one of them movies .then long afterwords i saw robs name on the movie ,and said fuck how did i miss this . great work man on all your films

January 25, 2013 at 5:33 pm

23. Shana Turner

I love rob zombie. Both his Halloweens were amazing. That mans work is amazing. I wish he would remake “Motel Hell” that’s an 80’s horror movie. That’s been a dream if mine. Put all of his twisted thoughts into it gives me chills. Whatever he touches turns to gold.

January 25, 2013 at 5:06 pm

25. lisa

i thought you did a great job with the halloween movies. Are you making anymore movies soon

January 25, 2013 at 4:54 pm

27. That’s pretty much the exact reason WHY he’s distancing himself from it – it is NOT a series of remakes, it is a complete reboot centred on the Michael Myers character. A Rob Zombie H3 would NOT be a remake of Season Of The Witch the same way the previous two were NOT remakes of the John Carpenter movies. You pretty much summed up why people expected something different from RZ’s H2.

January 25, 2013 at 4:54 pm

29. Shaun Durant

i thought H2 was amazing movie..i would have watched it with a different title just because Uncle Rob directed it..it was visual stimulating and the dream sequences were rather amazing..thank you for the great movies..cant wait till Lords of Salem comes out..

January 25, 2013 at 4:35 pm

31. Michael Pruitt

I’m actually surprised that Zombie isn’t doing Halloween 3. I was really hoping he would at least stop at 3 because if any of you remember…Halloween 3 (Season of the Witch) has nothing to do with Michael Myers. It’s more ‘witchcraft” esk with an investigation of Cochran, who is the owner of the Shamrock Novelty Company. “H-3” also has death scenes that are pretty intense, and I think that if Zombie got behind a re-make of this…it would be epic. But that’s just my 2 cents…

January 25, 2013 at 4:25 pm

33. Red Johnson

I’m just waiting on the Clockwork Orange remake. He would do it justice -I Know! Cuz I know shit! And if I don’t know shit then I know people that know shit!!!

January 25, 2013 at 4:21 pm

35. Joel Backmeier

H2 is my favorite movie of all time, Yes all time. Anytime a director can make you actually feel sorry for the villian they are doing a great job. I for one don’t like the original “Halloweens” the first one is “okay” but all and all they are bad movies. Both H1 and H2 brought me back to the franchise. What seperates Rob from EVERYONE else is his attention to detail and character development. People who don’t nes’ like “horror” films find H1 – H2 watchable because of this….with all RZ movies, true works of ART.

January 25, 2013 at 4:15 pm

37. Terry Case

I think Zombie should do a third feilm of the franchise. I for one loved the other 2 films.

January 25, 2013 at 3:59 pm

39. Cycotix

the first halloween was like art, the second felt rushed a bit but still good. i wouldnt want to see a 3rd halloween inless it went back to the perfection in the first one.

January 25, 2013 at 3:37 pm

41. Nevar

Maybe they can change the name to “Samhain”

January 25, 2013 at 3:13 pm

43. erika

Your version of halloween was by far the best !! Critics just see it as michael has always been mysterious and the depth of his inanity was never revealed, but you went in and gave a real story behind the monster we call michael myers! It was amazing , all stories get old and can only go so far when they take the same exact direction. Putting a twist on something and making it your own , is what really makes an old favorite intriguing. You are my favorite movie director , and your perception of things is gory and odd and I love it! Keep making movies , because lately I have been bored. Can’t wait for lords of salem!!!!

January 25, 2013 at 3:02 pm

45. tony murphy

love all the movies that you have directed.. woudl really be thrilled to see how you would do a remake of The Exorcist.

January 25, 2013 at 11:54 am

47. Effin A Wright

Rob, both 1 and 2 were great. You are right that if they were called something else they would be hits. I thought the aggressive in your face style you used was refreshing. Your movies have a flavor all their own, and I love them. I don’t know about anybody else; but I am hungry for more Devil’s Rejects.

January 25, 2013 at 10:00 am

49. SIckGurl91

Any movie made by Rob Zombie is amazing, Halloween 1& 2 were both great, i watch them constantly.. people will always have something to say, he should put his own touch on any movie he makes, its what makes them badass.

January 25, 2013 at 9:45 am

51. owarwolf

I liked Halloween 2, it was satisfying in that “frightening enough to make me feel genuinely uncomfortable” way. I’m not expecting a Halloween 3 and honestly in this crazy world of constant reboots and sequels, I’m perfectly happy with Rob Zombie turning down a third movie. I’d rather see him explore something else, something fresh.

January 25, 2013 at 6:39 am

53. chise196

i liked halloween 2 the bathroom scene felt disturbingly realistic rob zombie has made a raw and gritty version of the serial killer that isn’t campy at all just peer anger vibes from him that gives you electricity up your spine.

January 25, 2013 at 2:36 am

55. Heather Compton

The Halloween movies are my favorite scary movies. When I fought out Rob Zombie was doing them I was stoked. I dont care who said what, I LOVED Robs Halloween movies and was praying for more but I guess that that wont happen. Soooooo bummed.

January 25, 2013 at 1:34 am

57. tommyBoye

I agree to no Halloween 3. But it will happen. They can’t leave it alone. No doubt in 5 years another Batman, Spiderman, some other overdone series will make it’s way back to the screen. Also, I loved both of Rob’s Halloween movies.

January 25, 2013 at 1:14 am

59. David Deal

Mr. Zombie makes great movies and the Halloween movies are no exception. I liked how he took the course in 2 and wish him the best of success in all he does. Of course I’d like to see another sort of prequel to “The Devil’s Rejects” but maybe that’s just me or is it?

January 25, 2013 at 12:05 am

61. I liked H2 a lot.I liked them both.I am a fan of horror but I love for directors doing remakes to make them their own.Classic films like Carpenter’s Halloween are untouchable so why try.Zombie took familiar characters and based them in reality.Rather than being a force of nature he was a true seriel killer.In H2 however you see how an entire family line can share evil on a genetic level.As for H3 I like that when Rob feels the story has been told he stops.I am sure the Firefly Clan could have lasted for several more films but Rob
    felt their story had been told so he stopped and moved on.I personally am stoked for Lords of Salem.I spoke with Dee Wallace last year and although she would spoil nothing ,just her enthusiasm got me stoked.

January 24, 2013 at 10:48 pm

63. Keith Hurd

Alright, Rob, not to sound like a kissass, but i love your music. I also think your films are top notch. Personally I think the Halloween duo were a masterpiece. You captured Mike’s sociopathic nature at it’s best, especially when it came to his delusions. I must say i loved part 2 the best. I understand not wanting to go for a part 3, if only for the fact that the movie was put to rest in 2. I get that you live to make your fans happy, but you must understand that some jaggoffs out there just like to bitch about any little thing. Ignore them! Keep doing things the way you do, and know your TRUE fans will dig it. Fuck the haters. \m/

January 24, 2013 at 9:27 pm

65. Jackie U

January 24, 2013 at 9:21 pm

67. Jackie U

Halloween 2 was EXCELLENT! I loved it. Screw the haters.

January 24, 2013 at 9:20 pm

Zombie’s Halloween movies were brutal (which i liked) and he developed the character of Michael Meyers in a way that had not been done before. The shape was emotionless and without character. Zombie’s version added depth to ol’ Mike to the point of understanding his motive, that which drives him. Both movies are a classic and I can’t wait for Lords.

January 24, 2013 at 8:40 pm

71. Dime

I am sorry Rob. But I have to agree with Steve. You make some awesome music. And did a good film with Devils Rejects. But the Halloween reboot, IMO ruined the movies credibility as a Horror Classic. You went way off beat with them.

Stick to what you know best…. music.

January 24, 2013 at 8:37 pm

73. Steve

I am sorry… I am not some emo FANBOY. I do love your music and all. But the Halloween movies you did blew monkey balls. Reboot or not, it was nothing like the originals. Sorry… they are classics for a reason. Leave them the hell alone.

January 24, 2013 at 8:34 pm

75. Seth

dude i love your music and movies are truly amazing ive been a fan since i was like nine lol and i cant wait to check out the lords of salem looks like it will be another masterpiece of yours keep up the amazing work man

January 24, 2013 at 8:02 pm

77. JAMES

January 24, 2013 at 7:51 pm

79. Steve Serna

Your music and your movies rock didnt care for the second Halloween just because of the flying horse other wise like i said love your music and your other movies cant wait for more of both

January 24, 2013 at 7:01 pm

81. curwen

First, Coppola’s Dracula was my favourite film of all times. Then, one afternoon, lost somewhere in France, I saw Rob Zombie’s Halloween 2. Nothing has ever been the same again since then…

January 24, 2013 at 6:26 pm

83. Dave

Sorry but anyway you cut RZ’s Halloween 2 it was awful. The direction of the entire story was stupid. And frankly I don’t think the studio would ever even consider bringing back Zombie for another movie. Patrick Lussier can do a much better job.

January 24, 2013 at 5:57 pm

85. ur devils rejects were the best ever plz make another movie just like it

January 24, 2013 at 3:21 pm

87. dylan

first of all. zombie im a huge fan, love your music and your movies. yeah your halloween movies have been the best by far. im a huge myers fan as well. id love it if you made a third.

January 24, 2013 at 2:13 pm

89. Anri

Your version of Halloween 1 & 2 has been the best ever. I watched all of them and your version just made so much more sense.

January 24, 2013 at 11:19 am

91. Maggie

I want to see more of Dr.Satan.

January 24, 2013 at 9:32 am

93. I don’t care what anyone says. I think the Halloween movies that you directed, Rob, were the BEST Halloween movies. I tend to like remakes because they have a newer look to them. And more blood and gore is always a plus. If someone made a Halloween 3, I’d be sad if it WASN’T you directing it.

January 24, 2013 at 4:31 am

95. Donna Begley

I loved Halloween 2 better than the original one. I liked the whole concept and I think your movies are the best in the industry. I thought H2 was great. Im disappointed that you wont be doing a Halloween 3 I think it would be great just as the other 2 are.

January 23, 2013 at 8:20 pm

97. They just want more money… You summed up “Halloween” with pt 2. He’s dead and RZ won’t be bringing him back to life – not your style.

This is why I’m a fan, one of the few directors that give a shit anymore about the quality of the film – not just focused on making $$$.

I LOVED both Halloweens – especially watching the DVD extras with RZ commenting during each scene – PLEASE keep doing that!!

January 23, 2013 at 7:07 pm

99. Amber

If you try to make everyone everywhere happy nothing will ever get done. There will always be some one somewhere bitching about one thing or another. You’re amazing. Your music and movies. You should not let the whiny people have an influence over projects. Even if you were to create a version of Halloween that these fantics liked there would still be a complaint somewhere about something. FUCK EM!!

January 23, 2013 at 5:40 pm

101. frank

Hey Rob, screw what ever they said about Halloween2!! That fucking movie was bad ass like the rest of your work!! Don’t ever stop!!

January 23, 2013 at 4:03 pm

103. Halloween 3 as a remake of the original that was out-of-step with the Michael Myers storyline or Halloween 3 as a continuation of the Michael Myers storyline? Either way, I much prefer seeing Rob focus on his own characters and stories. He’s the only filmmaker making the kinds of films he makes…and I want to see more of them. That said, I really enjoyed both of Rob’s Halloween films, in particular his completely original reimagining of Halloween 2.

January 23, 2013 at 3:15 pm

105. shae langan

oh and when the hell you comin back to australia i need a zombie fix

January 23, 2013 at 2:46 pm

107. shae langan

love all your work mr zombie i think you have an amazing way of producing somthing so defrent and out there it grabs you and pulls you in cuts open your head eats your brain and spits it back.wether it be your movies or insane musik you have a way of realy showing your fans how it is in your mind and how you want it to be seen keep it up your talent is one of a kind!!!

January 23, 2013 at 2:43 pm

109. Aaron

the original Halloween 3 sucked, so rob zombie would have to make a completely different movie… i think he would do another Halloween, but maybe he wouldn”t call it “halloween 3” and yea i like the originals, his version wasn’t bad minus the parts that were screwed up, but im sure it was the writers’ faults and not his :)

January 23, 2013 at 2:15 pm

111. Aimee

I loved his Halloween movies 2 was beautifully done. I loved the original and Zombie’s versión. I love his wife she is amazing.

January 23, 2013 at 2:08 pm

113. Diana

Halloween @ is a master piece , My Gosh ….. seriously anyone that says diff ,may not appriciate Halloween … thnks Rob and Sherry .. me n my family loved it

January 23, 2013 at 1:57 pm

115. معین

هی رابی خیلی میخوامت هالووین 3 ..روزشماری میکنم واسی دیدنش

January 23, 2013 at 1:42 pm

117. Crystal

I have seen all of your movies in theaters, Halloween 2 is in my top 5 favorite movies. I thought the difference between it and the original, is what makes it such a great movie. It is ridiculous that people criticized it.

January 23, 2013 at 1:39 pm

119. If you have joined the RZ website then you are ultimately a fan and by reasonable conclusion bias towards his movies, music and other projects. But yes, I too am baffled that people criticised Halloween 2.

January 23, 2013 at 1:24 pm

121. tony

They should like all your movie that u do because they r all great and i have them and i like them so make new movie so people can watch them Rob………….

January 23, 2013 at 1:18 pm

123. jeff

im waiting for you to do a zombie movie , i know it would be great if you did it .

January 23, 2013 at 1:15 pm

125. Roo MaGGoo

Personally i thought Halloween 2 was a masterpiece, im a huge fan of the original Halloween movies n Michael Myers is my favorite movie killer of all time n i think what Rob Zombie did with Halloweens was brilliant , he took them n gave hes own little twist on it and made it alittle bit more realistic and made Michael Myers even scarier then before, i think the fact that Rob Zombie is having no part in the 3rd installment of the Halloween movies, its going to be shit

January 23, 2013 at 1:14 pm

127. james

i love all ur movies ur one of only decent horror producers /directors in the usa in my mind other wise its all about asian horror …house of 1000 cropses and devils rejects r 2 of my fraviout flims with ur take on hallow very close to the top flims ….really cnt wait to see lords of salemt …dont care wat anyone says ur movies kick ass please keep making them zombie power 😀 wish i could be a part of one of ur flims hahah

January 23, 2013 at 1:07 pm

129. Roxy

I love What what you did with the Halloween movies. I thought they were better than the originals. I thought Michael myers was much scarier. And i loved the house of 100 corpses and devils rejects. There will always be people who wont accept changes to classic movies but your vusions are stunning and i hope you continue to make movies for years to come.

January 23, 2013 at 1:03 pm