Vote Rob Zombie best live band

Zombie’s Record Collection: ELTON JOHN’S GREATEST HITS

Welcome to a brand new weekly feature from Rob Zombie.

Every week RZ will open up the vaults that are his record collection and share these with his fans, including his views on the album and more.

ELTON JOHN’S GREATEST HITS

From Rob Zombies Record Collection - Elton Johns Greatest Hits“To start things off I figured I would pick the absolute first album I ever bought with my own hard earned cash and by “hard earned cash” I mean it was most likely birthday money or something.

The time was 1974, I was about nine years old and ready to rock. Elton was of course already a world-wide superstar and I was a huge fan from listening to him on FM radio… but now… now it was time to make the move to vinyl! So, playing it safe I picked up the amazing ELTON JOHN’S GREATEST HITS. Back then greatest hits records were always the way I started my journey into an artist work. I figured start with the hits and work your way backwards.

Anyway, it goes without saying that every single song on this record is a modern classic and I don’t have to waste your time telling you about “in my opinion Elton is one of the greatest songwriters of all time, bla, bla, bla”… but if for some strange reason you don’t know anything about Elton John… then go get this record. From “Rocket Man” to ” Bennie And The Jets” to “Levon” it is a killer disc all the way.

Comments
  • kedzombiehead May 27, 2012 at 6:10 am

Yes yes…… I grew up listening to Elton. My Mom was a big fan. I love listening to the greatest hits albums. It brings back great memories.

• genovesesiciliano May 13, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Holy sh1t!! I was 9 in ’74 and I also bought that same album. Use to love blasting Saturday Night is alright for Fighting, the only rocking song on the album. But over the years I forgot about Elton as my music tastes evolved. If I was exiled on a deserted Island and could only bring a few albums with me… Rob Zombie would be part of my collection… but not Elton, sry.

• livingdeadgirlnicole1031 April 10, 2012 at 6:28 pm

I cant wait to tell my husband Frank.. he loves Elton!

• Spoogie April 4, 2012 at 7:27 am

RZ would you also consider recommending your movie pick of the week? I asked about your top 25 on QOTW, and inadvertently started a small string of replies. Cool!

• livingdeadgirlnicole1031 April 10, 2012 at 6:29 pm

@ Spoogie – I agree.. I actually watched the movie Audition for the first time cause I heard Rob talk about it. I would love to see what other horror flicks he suggests!

• Death Angel April 4, 2012 at 1:59 am

This is such a cool section on this site. Rob is so fascinating and it’s great that he shares his inspirations and likes with us :)

• mksuzi April 1, 2012 at 3:39 am

Elton in awesome. Love his songs also. Trent reznor is a decent song writer also I have most of his work. (NIN). not in same class as Sir elton but stil can hold his own.

• white_zombie March 30, 2012 at 6:58 pm

Kinda weird that he would choose this particular album because although I like Elton John, I hadn’t played anything from him in quite a while and just 3-4 days ago decided I wanted to hear Crockodile Rock and Daniel. I also played I Guess That’s Why They Call It The Blues, cuz I like the old rock-n-roll groove in that song.

• Moon March 30, 2012 at 5:59 am

Nice..I have this album too. I got it around 95 or 96..I started listening to Elton John after The Lion King came out, and I ended up liking a lot of his old stuff..

• Jesus Frankenstein March 30, 2012 at 2:19 am

Keep ‘em coming! I love this kind of stuff. A movie collection feature would be cool too.

• Something_WEiRd March 29, 2012 at 4:11 pm

nice to see that you like greatest hits albums too lol i cant wait to see more of these fave albums thing, i really like the idea.you shouyld also start showing off your movie collection :) ive already seen it on that episode of mtv’s cribs but im sure it must have grown since then. do you still collect horror movies/memorabilia?

1 2