QOTW: Rocky Horror Picture Show by Moon

So NICE we decided to do it TWICE! Roll up kiddies for another tale from the Spookshow.

Zombie Head Inc Member Moon from robzombieHere is another Question of the Week from Rob Zombie.  Thank you to Zombie Head Moon for the question on the Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Question: I love this movie, and I love going to see it in the theater when I can..Rob, since I know you are a big fan of this film, I want to know, how old were you when you first saw it in theaters?

And what was that experience like for you?

Rob Zombie and Patricia QuinnAnswer from Rob: Yes, you are correct I love this movie. I think it is without a doubt one of the few movie musicals to use rock music properly. The Who’s Tommy would be another great example of this. I first saw the film in a small theater in Rhode Island around 1982. I had seen pictures of the film in many books and was familiar with it but had never had a chance to see it up to that point (weird to even remember a time when it was hard to see certain films). Well, after one viewing I was hooked.

The Rocky Horror cult was in full swing around that time so most theaters had vital local cast performing.  Boston had a great one as did New York at the legendary(and much missed) 8th Street Playhouse. I never got into dressing up or participating in all the audience back and forth with the screen. In fact I enjoyed watching the movie more with all the flying rice and toast. Hard to believe back then all I had was a grainy VHS bootleg, now everyone owns a perfect copy on Blu-ray

And obviously it goes without saying that the reason I cast Pat Quinn in my new film THE LORDS OF SALEM was due to my love for her performance in THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW. I also tried to cast Richard O’Brien but unfortunately he was unavailable .

Discuss on the forum...

1. pipeweed

Who doesn’t love TRHPS!!!? Great music and Tim Curry killed it! Awesome to know one of my favorite artists dig it as much as I do.

March 8, 2012 at 4:02 am

3. Underwolrd

Amazing casting work for “Salem”!!! Also Tim Currymigth be another good choice!!

February 20, 2012 at 11:59 am

5. The Vampire Imaginista

I love that you started this website and give us interaction ith you and other people that are like minded …… I remember the first time watching and it was such a feeling I felt inside that’s hard to describe but it felt like “yes this is the kinda world I belong to” which then eventualy led me to be a Zombie head even though I’m a vampire ……

February 20, 2012 at 1:26 am

7. Moon

Thank you Rob..You just made my evening. I hope you do get a chance to work with Richard O Brien on a future project..By the way, I also love The Who’s Tommy.. I can remember watching it many times on HBO when I was about 17 or 18, and I can remember stealing my parent’s copy of the sound track..LOL..I love the music in that film, and it just looks incredible.

February 18, 2012 at 6:42 am

9. SpiderBaby

Richard O’Brien in a Rob Zombie film. That really needs to happen at some point.

February 17, 2012 at 9:43 pm

11. ROB! You didn’t say who you liked to dress as!! We need to know! Or did you just throw on some lipstick and fishnets? ;)

February 17, 2012 at 4:17 pm

• @SalemWitchWiles:

Rob said ” I never got into dressing up or participating in all the audience back and forth with the screen.”

February 17, 2012 at 4:21 pm

• 5
    • SalemWitchWiles

@Emma: Aww, don’t know how I missed that, so disappointing. I’m just going to tell myself that he’s lying so his scary metal friends don’t make fun of him and secretly goes all out.

February 17, 2012 at 4:36 pm

13. Loving QOTW from Rob @ his site – get ur question in by joining site QOTW: Rocky Horror Picture Show http://t.co/Kfde7uST via @RWZombie

February 17, 2012 at 3:32 pm