QOTW: Fans that bring a camera by JRoTown

Gather round and round ‘em up, we have another Question of the Week answered for you by Rob Zombie.  This weeks question comes from Zombie Head Inc member JRoTown.

Question: Rob, what’s your take on this?
I can see where camera flashes could leave a person blinded and when there’s so much going on it could lead to some serious injuries with all the pyro going off, people rushing the stage, falls…etc…

So, what do you think? Leave the camera at home or just remember the event for what it is through your own eyes?

Answer from Rob: Well, I have mixed feelings on the subject. In the past I never objected to cameras at the shows, but now that basically every phone is a camera things have changed. I get really tired of looking at a sea of cell phones. The crowds have become so concerned with filming the shows that they have stopped really watching the shows. It’s strange to look at fans staring at the little screen on their phone instead of the spectacle right in front of them. They really seemed so concerned with filming it to rewatch it later that they don’t really enjoy it at the moment it is happening. It is just the way things are now, so what can you do?

Here’s a thought. Put your stupid phone away and rock the fuck out!

Liked this?  Want to get your own question in and be in with a chance for Rob to answer it?  Then join the forum (if you haven’t already) and leave a question in the Question of the Week section.  Remember only questions asked on the forum will be answered.

Discuss on the forum...

1. r1x

I stopped using cameras after Asshole Rose pulled that stunt in St. Louis; I went to see Ozzy a week after the “incident” and they stopped us at the gate, telling us cameras weren’t allowed anymore (back when it was the old Riverport Amphitheatre). Of course Zack made a comment onstage that we could take all the pictures we wanted :S. But the guards actually sent people back to their cars to put away cams. Of course with cells nowadays… I’d say leave your cell/cam in your pocket, get a buzz from the crowd, watch the show and let the music pump you up! Besides, some artists really resent their shows ending up on Youtube or wherever; why would a fan wanna disrespect their “idols”?

March 25, 2012 at 5:41 pm

3. Spc adrian terry

well i was at the grousome twosome up in nashville back in late 2010 and it ROCKED i did have some photos and footage on my phone it didnt matter it wasnt much and its really dumb in my oppinion to do cause u cant really hear anything in the phone over the fans and the speakers are to loud for the camera or speakers on the phones BUT ill never forget that cause alice cooper rocked out hard and rob put on a hell of a show but Jeff from cinderella found out i just got back from iraq and took me back stage and i met rob zombie and john 5 and both were nice as ever to me i bet Rob remembers that lol i bowed down to him lol but he shook my hand and gave me a hug signed an autograph for my friend and signed my military ID sadly the signature faded away and i had to get another id but john 5 gave me a pick and a soldier i knew was a very dedicated john 5 fan it made his day when i gave it to him (he was going through some hard times) but i would love to have another rob zombie autograph something i could keep forever but him joey jordanson john 5 all of em were nice as ever they really took the time to talk to their fans and rob man ur my friggn hero in music man i hope i can get an actual autograph from u again and meet u again oneday if i do dont be surprised if i got a paint marker and have u sign the dash of my mustang :)

March 23, 2012 at 4:16 pm

5. Nicole

Have to comment on this. There was a picture from the Zombie/Alice Cooper show that surfaced on some website shortly after and I was in it. Me and everyone in the front row had a camera up. It looked funny and not as genuine as people with hands up screaming. So I get it. BUT I LOVE taking photos…love it. I usually take a tons of photos on high speed sports mode so most of my pics are not the best quality but they are good enough and no annoying flash in anyone’s face. I take only a couple with flash. BUT I also take time to enjoy the show as well..so I hope you don’t get too upset. I need my memories :) I usually keep my camera down when you perform my favorite songs also.

March 2, 2012 at 12:35 am

7. Martay_v88

I have to confess I am one of those Camera loving snappies.

However I agree with what was said and through it all Rob has a point. I find it annoying that sometimes my partner likes to sit and watch a show rather than be there, yet I stand there most of the gig bar a couple of songs to take photo’s. The last gig I went to I took 161 photo’s, most of which were blurred but for the few good one’s it was worth it. Or was it.

For the time I spent fiddling with the camera settings, zoom, flash. That part of the show was missed and despite my high reviews of the gigs I’ve been to, the reality is that I wasn’t really there, I watched it through a lense.

And yet here is the one who preaches to his fiance that you have to be at a gig near the front and in with the crowds and pure emotion of fans vs idols rather than sat at the back drinking and watching the show.

March 1, 2012 at 4:17 pm

9. JRotown

Thanks man. Spectacle, that’s exactly what a Zombie show is! Not too mention from a real fans point of view. People with their arms up and a bright light shining in their hand are taking away from everybody else behind them! See ya at ROTR and Sioux City!

February 29, 2012 at 7:12 am

11. Moon

I sometimes like watching concert footage from fans on Youtube..But, I wouldn’t want to film it myself. I go to concerts to have fun and rock out..I want to be watching the band, not messing with my cell phone the whole time.

February 29, 2012 at 6:35 am

13. Here’s a thought. How about bands start offering live streams, or live dvd/audio copies of their shows like Metallica, Linkin Park, Korn. Yes people want to remember the concert, How about offering more for the fans. Have an option to download the show when they get home. It might help bring the sea of cell phones down. Plus who wants to see thats shitty shaky quality bull on youtube anyways.

My 2 cents.

February 28, 2012 at 10:06 am

• catbomber

I’m not sure if that would do much to stop the problem of people compulsively mediating their own experiences: everyone wants their own unique copy, so they can twitbooktube it, so everyone else can go, “ohhhhh you’re so lucky, must have been a great night!” and they’ll feel special.

I mean, look at gigs now. You already have everyone photographing and recording it, and people know it’ll be up on the interwebs by the next morning. So why do it yourself? And yet people do.

If it’s not recorded and on YouTube, did it really happen, and if it did, did it mean anything? Seems to be the existential question of our time.

February 28, 2012 at 5:37 pm